Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips for brewing a strong belgian ale

Old 01-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
cmgray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumguzzler View Post
My house usually stays at 68. I am following a recipe from Clone Beers. The recipe does call to ferment from 70-72 . Maybe time to buy a aquarium heater?Do you know how long you have to ferment the damn thing before you could guzzle?. Thanx in advance
If the temp of your house is 68, that beer will be buzzing along at least 70-72 while it's fermenting without any help. I'd say you're in good shape.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #12
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The warmer you can get it during ferment the better. Start cool and get it up into the eighties. The phenos are what make it so good. I'm brewing a ten gallon batch in the morning and am pitching a one gallon starter and around 60 degrees. I hope to ge it up in the mid eighties to dry it out. I might put a drop of beano in and let it sit for 1/2 hour befor the boil to make it more fermentable and the end product dryer.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check out "Brewing Classic Styles" as well. In it, Jamil shows a lot of Belgian recipes with excellent guidance. I'd be careful to ferment cool in the beginning (to avoid harsh alcohol tastes) then ramp up later.

As for blowoff, my Belgians have been disgusting messes during primary fermentation (which I actually think is kind of cool looking...makes it look like there is something very serious and interesting going on inside the fermenter).

Old 10-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

My recommendations for brewing a Belgian Strong:

1) Make a big, healthy starter. The yeast will have a lot of work to do.
2) Aerate really well before pitching.
3) Don't add sugar to the boil. Add it to your primary after most of the fermentation is done.
4) Pitch cool and let the temperature rise.
5) Be patient.

I'll also add that adding a few drops of Fermcap before pitching has eliminated any worries about blowoffs for me.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGnome6 View Post
3) Don't add sugar to the boil. Add it to your primary after most of the fermentation is done.
Hmmm. I haven't tried this before. Does this help with attenuation? Do you boil in water (like bottle priming) or just dump in the sugar?

Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunBikeBrew View Post
Hmmm. I haven't tried this before. Does this help with attenuation? Do you boil in water (like bottle priming) or just dump in the sugar?
Theory is that the yeast prefer to eat the simple sugars and will get lazy before they finish off the complex sugars. With incremental feeding you force them to eat the complex sugars first. It also helps since the yeast don't see the full gravity of the wort right away.

Boil the sugar in water (2 cups of water per pound works) and chill it down. Then just pour it into your primary.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Theory is that the yeast prefer to eat the simple sugars and will get lazy before they finish off the complex sugars. With incremental feeding you force them to eat the complex sugars first. It also helps since the yeast don't see the full gravity of the wort right away.

Boil the sugar in water (2 cups of water per pound works) and chill it down. Then just pour it into your primary.
Makes sense. I'll give this a try with my next big Belgian. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #18
togabear
Recipes 

How long to wait until its good? I want to drink mine when its still cold out. Its got two more weeks in the fermenter until I pull it out. Drinkably delicious by March? Four months in the bottle or keg? OG was 1.095. So far its at 10%. I think it will be about 11 when done.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
My recommendations for brewing a Belgian Strong:

1) Make a big, healthy starter. The yeast will have a lot of work to do.
2) Aerate really well before pitching.
4) Pitch cool and let the temperature rise.
5) Be patient.

I'll also add that adding a few drops of Fermcap before pitching has eliminated any worries about blowoffs for me.
Good advice as I dumped a batch of JZ Golden strong ale because of too much sugar in the boil, 3 pounds of it. I think feeding the sugar is a better idea.
Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #20
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed a dark strong about 3 weeks ago and used similar methods to what has been discussed. I used WLP500 and made a starter that I stepped up a couple times. It was probably about 1 liter when I pitched it. I used 1.5 lbs of dark candi syrup (from AHS) that I added at the start of the 90 minute boil. I cooled the wort to about 70-ish and areated with my aquarium pump for about 30 minutes or so, then shook the hell out of the carboy, and repeated. I pitched the starter and attached the blow off tube. I covered the carboy with a towel and let it sit in my living room to free rise. I checked gravity last weekend and it was at 1.016 and tasted great. I was actually a little worried becasue there was never more than an inch of krauzen, no where near needing a blow off tube, but it worked. I'm gonna let it drop a little more (hoping for 1.014), then rack to secondary for a couple months. Then its into bottles until next Nov/Dec.