Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Anyone know good Belgian Fruit Beer?

Old 06-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
SpecialEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone know good Belgian Fruit Beer?

Hey all , my sister is getting married and she requested a Belgian fruit Beer, and "Dead Guy"(her fiancee's favorite). Does anyone know any good recipies? And anyone have any idea how to get 5 gallons of each about 12 states over. Can I fly with corny kegs somehow?

Old 06-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEd
Hey all , my sister is getting married and she requested a Belgian fruit Beer, and "Dead Guy"(her fiancee's favorite). Does anyone know any good recipies? And anyone have any idea how to get 5 gallons of each about 12 states over. Can I fly with corny kegs somehow?
Lambic's are belgian fruit beers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambic

I don't think kegs are allowed to fly. I believe you have to ship them ground due to the presurization.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
SpecialEd
Recipes 

Yeah thats kinda what I thought too. Has anyone ever shipped them, how much does it cost and can they keep them cold? TY for the recepie

Old 06-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Lambics are the classic Belgian Fruit beer, but pretty tricky to brew.

Fantome saison incorporates raspberry and strawberry.

Beer Captured has clone recipes for Fantome and for Dead Guy Ale.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
Jester4176
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Anything's possible in shipping...especially if you have the right amt of $$. I'd think you could ship a keg in an igloo cooler packed with ice packs and taped shut. I say ice packs because they aren't as messy as ice, so no leakage. And I'd use the igloo max coolers so the keg would stay colder longer. Even the biggest cooler won't fit both kegs, so you'll need 2 of them. Looks like the maxcold 70 is your best bet. Going to take a TON of ice packs also.

Igloo MAXcool coolers: 2 @ $70
Ice packs: 50? @ $2
Shipping for 2 coolers: $$$$$
Having homebrew at your sisters wedding: Well.....expensive to say the least.

A full keg weighs 60lbs iirc. Say 10lbs for the cooler, and 30lbs for the ice packs. You're looking at 100lbs give or take. Shipping 12 states over, lets assume you live in Bangor Maine, and your sister is in Flagstaff Arizona. That's 12 states...depending on your route. So, we assume 200lbs via the cheapest service (UPS Ground). That's only $170+ for shipping. Or if you're feeling thrifty and send it late, you can get next day delivery for $800. Boy...what a bargain. Sounds like a road trip may be in order.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Mykel Obvious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester4176
Anything's possible in shipping...especially if you have the right amt of $$. I'd think you could ship a keg in an igloo cooler packed with ice packs and taped shut. I say ice packs because they aren't as messy as ice, so no leakage. And I'd use the igloo max coolers so the keg would stay colder longer. Even the biggest cooler won't fit both kegs, so you'll need 2 of them. Looks like the maxcold 70 is your best bet. Going to take a TON of ice packs also.

Igloo MAXcool coolers: 2 @ $70
Ice packs: 50? @ $2
Shipping for 2 coolers: $$$$$
Having homebrew at your sisters wedding: Well.....expensive to say the least.

A full keg weighs 60lbs iirc. Say 10lbs for the cooler, and 30lbs for the ice packs. You're looking at 100lbs give or take. Shipping 12 states over, lets assume you live in Bangor Maine, and your sister is in Flagstaff Arizona. That's 12 states...depending on your route. So, we assume 200lbs via the cheapest service (UPS Ground). That's only $170+ for shipping. Or if you're feeling thrifty and send it late, you can get next day delivery for $800. Boy...what a bargain. Sounds like a road trip may be in order.
It might be cheaper to quit your job and move to where she lives so you can brew the beer at her place!!!!

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!!!

later,
mikey

"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan

Old 06-03-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 54 Posts

Road trip for the wedding. Plus you can control the shipping environment.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 06-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #8
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my dads friend actually always flys back tro the states with a pony keg when he goes home to belgium. and at the brewery i work at, when we go to beer fests in chicago where we distribute, we fly 5 gallons over, but i've never been involved with it, so i'm not sure the exact process. i could find out on monday though. a wit is a easier belgian beer to brew which has a good fruity flavor, although no actual fruit if you don't want to screw around with lambics (which are gross anyways...IMO of course)

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many

Old 06-03-2006, 03:06 AM   #9
Jester4176
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Drengel....ask your dad's friend if he wants to bring us some ponies back also.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:26 AM   #10
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'll be that way in a couple weeks actually with him. not in belgium, but germany for the world cup, should i mail you a pony keg from germany...somehow i think shipping would be kinda expensive....seriously, i might try bringing something back with me.

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many