Hops for Hefenweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheatbeerPY

Reaction score
I want to grow my own hops this year, for next year! What kind of hops do i grow for hefenweizens?

Unscientific and unsubstantiated guessing follows:

I think weizen are traditionally lightly hopped with a single noble addition, and I have not heard of anyone successfully growing noble varieties in the US. I ass-u-me that you are in the US but I cannot tell from your profile.

Something like cascade grows like weeds in many places in the US (even growing some here in Dallas) although the flavor is distinctive. So little is used for weizen (and only for bittering) that you might try hopping a batch that way with commercial cascade first (like at 45 or 60 mins so the aromatics boil off). If you like it plant some in the spring.

I know nothing about growing hops, but for a hefe, you need hallertauer, tettnang, saaz or similar traditional german (noble) low AA% hop. For a 5 gallon batch, you typically use 1 oz @ 60 min to get 10-15 IBUs.

Hallertauer, tettnang, saaz all grow in the USA, but the flavors are different from the European-grown hops. If you have a partially shaded area, you can try Sunbeam. It's flavor is much like Saazer.

IMO Hefeweizens are hopped at such a low rate, typically with a bittering addition only, that you could darn near throw anything in there for 60 minutes and be fine. It's all about the yeast.

I disagree. A 60 min hop addition will still add SOME flavor. I think cascade, even at a small amount might be inappropriate if you are looking to duplicate the style. Would it be good, probably. It just depends on what you are looking for.

I agree that hop flavors CAN come through with the 60 minute additions (if enough hops are used), but a hefeweizen should not have any hop flavor. 8-15 ibus from a 60 minute addition just does not contribute anything, in my experience.

...but then again, while I think my palette is pretty good, it's nowhere near as discerning as some people's (beer judges, etc) so YMMV.

I brew a lot of wheat beers, about half are hefes. I planted mt. hood last year which is an american derivative of hallertauer and I also planted a hallertau. Next year it'll be saaz and tettnang. And these are just for my euro. style beers. The profile may not be close as far as flavor and aroma go, but for bittering they should be plenty mild enough for a hefe.

Back