Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carb Problem?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
zaprozdower
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carb Problem?

So I realized I made a dumb mistake after opening my first beer...forgot to boil priming sugar in water, instead I just dumped it into wort before bottling. Is this going to significantly affect my carbonation? It's an IPA too...really would have liked to have some head on this.

Plus it also seems to be a bit soapy, I used some no rinse iodine sanitizer and this time I actually didn't rinse and used the recommended concentration. Looks like this batch is going to be a bit of a disappointment...

Conditioning/Drinking -

Old 01-19-2009, 03:41 AM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaprozdower View Post
So I realized I made a dumb mistake after opening my first beer...forgot to boil priming sugar in water, instead I just dumped it into wort before bottling. Is this going to significantly affect my carbonation? It's an IPA too...really would have liked to have some head on this.

Plus it also seems to be a bit soapy, I used some no rinse iodine sanitizer and this time I actually didn't rinse and used the recommended concentration. Looks like this batch is going to be a bit of a disappointment...
The boiling is more of a sanitation issue generally. You used dextrose correct?It really should not affect the carbonation - give it more time.

As far as the soapyness, if you used the correct concentration and dumped it out of your vessel, the no rinse-sanitzer shouldn't cause it.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Depending on what you are describing as soapy, it may just be the hops flavors. I know I have heard hoppy beers described as such. Just give it some time in the bottles, it will probably be great. How long has it been bottled?
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
zaprozdower
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
The boiling is more of a sanitation issue generally. You used dextrose correct?It really should not affect the carbonation - give it more time.

As far as the soapyness, if you used the correct concentration and dumped it out of your vessel, the no rinse-sanitzer shouldn't cause it.
Good, good that's a relief at least. I did use dextrose, not THAT silly. Also its only been 4 days since bottling...I opened one to see if there were any major problems and so I obviously cant come to any conclusions yet.

As for the soapness I seem to be able to taste it but also theres large a cluster of bubbles taking up most of the bottle after I pour. But then again I wouldnt think an iodine sanitizer would make it soapy...so im confused.
Conditioning/Drinking -

Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've yet to bottle a beer that was drinkable in less than 3 weeks. Bottle conditioning needs time to ferment again for carbonation, then the yeast need to settle down and the beer needs time to condition. Being 4 days in, you're smack dab in the middle of the yeast eating that bottling sugar, don't get down yet, you've still got beer! Plus, IPAs, having more hops in them, tend to mask goofy tastes A LOT more than other beers do.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I'm still fairly new to this.So i prime each bottle.Yet to have a bad batch!It may just be in my head,but i think you get better consistency that way.So far no flat beer and no bombs

Old 01-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
zaprozdower
Recipes 

It seems like hopefully the soapy bubbles was limited to a couple bottles. It's definitely going to be a good brew.

That said, I seem to have an ongoing problem. My bottles tend to be quite variable in their carbonation (some are fine and others have some carb but no head at all). I figure this is either due to some bottles not fully closed (i use PET bottles and flip tops) or perhaps my bottling method. I decided that because my primary has a spout, I wouldn't buy any siphoning equipment. So my method tends to go like this, dissolve priming sugar, pour into wort, let sit for 10 or 20 minutes, and bottle. I don't stir because I don't want to make it cloudy after I've put so much effort into a more clear beer. What should I do here?
Conditioning/Drinking -

Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
jharres
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You really should rack to a bottling bucket. Boil the sugar water, put it in the bottling bucket and then siphon the beer from your primary onto the sugar water. This will allow the sugar to get good and evenly mixed. When you just dump it into the fermenter, if you don't stir, your concentration will be mixed (i.e., some sugar here but not there...).

Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
zaprozdower
Recipes 

Disaster averted, errr made up. Most of the bottles are now amply carbed and some a bit overboard. The soapyness from the iodophor seems to have cleaned out by the yeast thankfully. Is that something that the yeast is supposed to do over time? It seems that only the bottle I opened after 4 days had the soapy bubbles in the bottom.
Conditioning/Drinking -

Old 02-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
nosmatt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaprozdower View Post
So my method tends to go like this, dissolve priming sugar, pour into wort, let sit for 10 or 20 minutes, and bottle. I don't stir because I don't want to make it cloudy after I've put so much effort into a more clear beer. What should I do here?
you should buy another bucket with a spigot.

what i do:
boil 1 cup o water to 4 oz of dextrose. cool in freezer. pour into sanitized bucket. drain beer into bucket.
bottle