How long does it take to get off flavors from high fermentation temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyTaco

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast into my new raspberry wheat brew last night at about 11pm and stuck my fermenter in the basement which was about 70 degrees. This morning i woke up to a very active airlock, but according to the temerature strip on the side of the bucket, the brew is at 80 deg F! Before i left for work, i put the bucket in a tub with water and a towel wrapped around it, but is it already too late?

It'll probably be fine now that you're bringing the temp down: the yeast generates a lot of heat during the first few hours of active fermentation.

Is your basement partially above grade or something?

I'm curious how a basement in Buffalo could be that warm on June 1st. Here in Kansas, it's already been in the 90s a lot, and we keep our thermostat on 78, but the basement is still about 62 on the floor, about 67 on the top shelf.

It has been hot here the past few days that brought the temp from its usual 65 ish up to 70. Im sure at the floor its a little colder, but i had the fermenter up on a table. The dehumidifier has been constantly on for a week. :(

Yeah the extra heat is prolly from the yeast activity. You did the rright thing cooling it. You should be OK as it was less that a day and you are reading the outside temp.

Yes, it has been around 90 on the east side of NY this past week. And don't forget the 96% humidity!

In my own experience (which is very small), high temps=fruity ester flavor. But aren't hefeweizens, esp those with raspberry, supposed to be estery and fruity smelling? That's one thing I like about em.

Monk said:
In my own experience (which is very small), high temps=fruity ester flavor. But aren't hefeweizens, esp those with raspberry, supposed to be estery and fruity smelling? That's one thing I like about em.

Higher temps will make more esters, lower temps. more clove. Depends on the yeast but that is the general HW yeast manifesto.

Yeasties are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for. I have personally brewed in 43 C which is like 109.4 F. The temperature of my wort got up to 90 F for a good two days with very little negitive side effects.
The biggest problem when brewing in the hot weather is not so much killing your yeast as much as producing esthers (fruity/ cidery smells). I guess this will vary depending on yeast used but I would say you will be fine don't panic.

Back