Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Blood Orange Hefeweizen
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #571
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sherwood, Oregon
Posts: 2,905
Liked 219 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default

annnnd done!


peach took off this morning, but the blueberry is still nill. i'll see how it's doing once i get back home, i accidentally put way more then half the pack in the peach... so it's prolly just gonna be way laggy


__________________
RAINYDAY BREWING AND WINERY Sherwood, OR - EST 2010
Primary American Wheat
Kegged Bavarian Hefeweizen
Coming up
Electric 120v Brutus 20
Rivenin is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #572
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rocky Hill, CT
Posts: 1,080
Liked 204 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

just brewed more of my version of this on sunday. guess i miscalculated something b/c with the oranges i placed in primary it was over 6 gallons! had to split it into two fermenters so 3068 wouldn't blow up my house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fermenter 2012.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	54484


mewithstewpid is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #573
Henry22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 336
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Here is my recipe. Slightly altered from the original all grain recipe.

Weyermann Pale Ale Malt 5 lbs 1.44 oz
Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt 3 lbs 3.04 oz
Briess Torrified Wheat 8 oz (for head retention)
.5 oz hallertau at 60 min
.5 oz saaz at 20 min
.5 oz hallertau at 10 min
Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068

So is the general consensus for a good orange taste to do between 4-6 blood oranges zesting them and putting the fruit in a 160 water, then adding all of that to primary?
__________________
Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'
Henry22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #574
rhamilton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,257
Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Tapped mine a week or so for a family bbq. Followed the DFH recipe but added a pinch of coriander to accent the citrus.

It's really a light, refreshing wheat beer. The orange zest and coriander reminded me of a blue moon knock off. If I ever brew this again, I'll double or triple the orange pulp. I'd also actually serve it with fresh blood orange slices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry22 View Post
So is the general consensus for a good orange taste to do between 4-6 blood oranges zesting them and putting the fruit in a 160 water, then adding all of that to primary?
I'll use 10-12 orange pulps and 3-4 orange zests next time.
__________________
On Deck: Cornucopia Oktoberfest
Primary: Centennial Blonde v2, Ed Wort's Kolsch
Secondary: none
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH
rhamilton is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #575
Henry22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 336
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
Tapped mine a week or so for a family bbq. Followed the DFH recipe but added a pinch of coriander to accent the citrus.

It's really a light, refreshing wheat beer. The orange zest and coriander reminded me of a blue moon knock off. If I ever brew this again, I'll double or triple the orange pulp. I'd also actually serve it with fresh blood orange slices.



I'll use 10-12 orange pulps and 3-4 orange zests next time.
So 10-12 orange pulps and the zest of 3-4 in 160 water then into primary?

How do you like the addition of coriander? Was that during the boil or in primary? And how much did you add?

Sorry for all the questions, this will be my 5th brew so Im still new. Thanks.
__________________
Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'
Henry22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #576
Henry22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 336
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Bump, brewing this tonight. I think I am doing the fruit of 10 oranges and the zest of at least 6 because I want a good orange flavor to come through.

How much did volumes of CO2 of priming sugar did every carb with? Im thinking 6oz to give it a good head.

Also did anyone add honey to theirs?

Edit: No blood oranges, all I saw was navel, Florida (whatever those are), and clementines I think. Is Navel good?
__________________
Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'
Henry22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #577
Henry22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 336
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

I brewed this with about
8.09 lbs of pale ale malt
3.19 lbs of pale wheat
.5lbs torrified wheat
Same hop schedule.
1 oz of fresh orange zest at flameout
.75lb orange blossom honey at flameout

zest of 6 oranges and the flesh of 8 into the primary along with the water they were steeped in

Hopefully thats not too much orange. It seems 4 wasn't enough, and then even more didnt seem to do the trick for everyone.
__________________
Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'
Henry22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #578
Sharkman20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 226
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry22 View Post
Bump, brewing this tonight. I think I am doing the fruit of 10 oranges and the zest of at least 6 because I want a good orange flavor to come through.

How much did volumes of CO2 of priming sugar did every carb with? Im thinking 6oz to give it a good head.

Also did anyone add honey to theirs?

Edit: No blood oranges, all I saw was navel, Florida (whatever those are), and clementines I think. Is Navel good?

I made mine with the zest of 9 oranges, and mine has a definite citrus hint to it. It's a trade off though, because it has almost zero head retention, even though it's well carbonated. A by product of putting that much orange oil in the beer I guess. I don't really care though, I care more about the flavor than anything and it's quite good. Just something to think about if you're shooting for a good head.
Sharkman20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #579
Henry22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 336
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkman20 View Post
I made mine with the zest of 9 oranges, and mine has a definite citrus hint to it. It's a trade off though, because it has almost zero head retention, even though it's well carbonated. A by product of putting that much orange oil in the beer I guess. I don't really care though, I care more about the flavor than anything and it's quite good. Just something to think about if you're shooting for a good head.
Hopefully that .5lb of torrified wheat I added counteracts that. I definitely care more about flavor than head retention. I think the zest of 6 oranges in primary plus 1 oz (2 oranges zested) at flameout should be good. Interested to see what the honey adds. It was very very sweet.

Edit: My OG was a bit low at 1.042 (BIAB) even though I had a 75 min mash and I sparged. I ended up with more wort than I intended, oh well. It should still be good, just a bit weaker.
__________________
Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'
Henry22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #580
mopillar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Georgia
Posts: 111
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Ok about ready to bottle this but wanted to make sure how much priming sugar. I will be using regular table sugar for a 5 gallon batch. Sorry if i missed seeing the answer somewhere else.


__________________
MO


Primary: Empty :(

Kegged: Jamil's Porter


mopillar is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blood orange substitute sellout49 Recipes/Ingredients 17 06-26-2009 01:28 AM
blood orange hefeweizen help. icu812 Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-31-2009 02:13 AM
Blood Orange Hefe from Extreme Brewing?? Fadeux Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-19-2009 01:54 AM
blood orange peel Ravenhead Recipes/Ingredients 3 10-27-2008 05:33 PM
Blood Orange Hefe ShortSnoutBrewing Recipes/Ingredients 2 02-14-2008 03:39 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS