Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Quaffable Irish Red (All Grain) Scrapper's

Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #41
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenshaw View Post
how have all of you done with your primary/secondaries? i noticed the original recipe calls for a month in each, just wondering what else works for timing as i'm brewing this in a week or so and don't know if i want to wait 2 months.. i'll be carbing it in my keg so at least that saves a couple weeks
Rules are meant to be broken.

Do 2-3 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks max in the 2ndary. Personally, I think these two shorter durations are pretty good. I don't think the extra time is really make much of a difference.

Let us know how it is in 5 weeks or so.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #42
spyder2723
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I am going to try making this all grain this weekend, but I messed up at the LHBS. Instead of the Special Roast, I grabbed the Special "B". It will still be beer, but I am thinking it will be darker, and I am not sure what else.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #43
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder2723 View Post
Well I am going to try making this all grain this weekend, but I messed up at the LHBS. Instead of the Special Roast, I grabbed the Special "B". It will still be beer, but I am thinking it will be darker, and I am not sure what else.

I think you are right. It will be darker, I think it will not have the same roasted taste but it should still be good. I think special b its often used as a sub for chocolate malt. It has a tendency to create raisen/plumb note. Give it a shot.

I am wondering if somebody else did this and posted their results. I think so, not sure if it was an AGr extract brewer.

Edit:

Ok - I checked the grains section for you in brewing for dummies. The special roast contributes a biscuit flavor, whereas the special b contributes a caramel chocolate-nutty flavor.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 07-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #44
ballz50401
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenshaw View Post
how have all of you done with your primary/secondaries? i noticed the original recipe calls for a month in each, just wondering what else works for timing as i'm brewing this in a week or so and don't know if i want to wait 2 months.. i'll be carbing it in my keg so at least that saves a couple weeks
A friend and I did two 10 gallon batches of this for a St. Paddys Day party and was served 3 and 4 weeks from brewing. Both tasted fine. Only one gallon was left from the 15 gallons kegged. Dennys Favorite 50 was used.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #45
spyder2723
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well my first all grain with this recipe went great. I hit all the numbers, mash temp, pre-boil gravity, post boil gravity, and total volume. So now to wait a while and see how it tastes. Thanks a lot for the recipe!

P.S. oh yeah I did the low hops version.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #46
mantooth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default very drinkable beer

I made this beer on July 15 and bottled on August 1. Just tried one today. Very good! I made the batch for a friend who has graduated from Massage Therapy school and is having a party this weekend. She likes Irish Reds, so I volunteered to supply her with beer this weekend. I used the less hopped all-grain version and am very pleased. Thanks for the recipe.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110821_135431.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	32210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110821_135449.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	32211  

Last edited by mantooth; 08-21-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #47
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 28

i have a week in the primary for this so far.. i think i'm going to primary it for a total of a month, then do the slow 10-12 psi method in the keg for a week as well.. just started to keg so that'll be my first full batch this way, hopefully it'll all work out and i can mimic the great pics i've seen so far..

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries: Apfelwein, Nugget Nectar, Brinner, Sticky Red, Smoked IPA
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone | Keg 2: Brinner | Keg 3: Oaked Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 08-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #48
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I think I'm going to try this one next, although I may go with Fuggles instead of the Willamette hops.

Also, since I can't find Caramel Pils around here, what do you think about subbing Caravienne for the Caramel Pils and dialing back to a pale chocolate malt to keep from going too dark? I want to make sure the beer still turns out nice and red. It wouldn't do to show up at an Oklahoma tailgate with 5 dozen bottles of orange beer.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #49
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4669 Times on 2792 Posts
Likes Given: 3944

This is a fine beer. I made it in the spring. Add some roasted barley (3 oz) to get the red. I also added an ounce of peat smoked malt to add a bit of earthiness to it. It has been a favorite of my visitors this summer. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #50
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
I think I'm going to try this one next, although I may go with Fuggles instead of the Willamette hops.

Also, since I can't find Caramel Pils around here, what do you think about subbing Caravienne for the Caramel Pils and dialing back to a pale chocolate malt to keep from going too dark? I want to make sure the beer still turns out nice and red. It wouldn't do to show up at an Oklahoma tailgate with 5 dozen bottles of orange beer.
The sub for caramel pils is carapils and crystal 10L. 50% of each to make a crystal 5L. You can get this from Northern Brewer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
This is a fine beer. I made it in the spring. Add some roasted barley (3 oz) to get the red. I also added an ounce of peat smoked malt to add a bit of earthiness to it. It has been a favorite of my visitors this summer. Thanks for the recipe.
Glad you like it, this is on my next to do list.

BS Nano-Brewery