Got a Whirlpool fridge - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Got a Whirlpool fridge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Mustangfreak
 
Mustangfreak's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Osan AB South Korea/Home is Ft Worth Tx
Posts: 585
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



Picked this up off of a friend for $75 today. I just need to take out the freezer part. I already have the freezer tray unscrewed, but how do I get the rest of it out? Anyone have any ideas?





The WCC sticker will be replaced with a HBT sticker ASAP. hehe
__________________
2 Fox Brewing Co.
www.militarystangs.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Trenchant
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 119

I was looking into what it would take to get every square inch out of these things.

You will probably want to remove the temperature controller's mounting and move it further back in the fridge where space is less valuable. It looks like you have most of the fridge out. I haven't specifically looked at this model of fridge but the ridges on the side need to be cut or ground out and then it would be a good idea to fill the gaps. Something to keep a draft from getting through to the insulation.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Posts: 1,389
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


That is a coolant line, right? (fairly certain it is)... I would unbend it so you have a 90ish degree angle, an have it sit along the side/back of the fridge. You don't want to get rid of it. If it will fit, you could just have it take up the back of the fridge (most freezerless mini fridges have them located there).

+1 on moving the thermostat (search oster conversion)

If you don't have enough room or kegs are real tight, remove the inner door panel (sanyo 4912 conversion).

Hope this helps and hope to see this in the 'Show us your kegerator' thread soon!
__________________
Broken Face Brewery
Est. 2008

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Mustangfreak
 
Mustangfreak's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Osan AB South Korea/Home is Ft Worth Tx
Posts: 585
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
That is a coolant line, right? (fairly certain it is)... I would unbend it so you have a 90ish degree angle, an have it sit along the side/back of the fridge. You don't want to get rid of it. If it will fit, you could just have it take up the back of the fridge (most freezerless mini fridges have them located there).

+1 on moving the thermostat (search oster conversion)

If you don't have enough room or kegs are real tight, remove the inner door panel (sanyo 4912 conversion).

Hope this helps and hope to see this in the 'Show us your kegerator' thread soon!
Ok, I bent the coolant lines and put it in the very back. Will it keep a steady temp with it being open like that inside the fridge?
__________________
2 Fox Brewing Co.
www.militarystangs.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Posts: 1,389
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


It should work just fine, as long as you don't keep the door open or open it a lot. If you add a tower to the top, I would advise a blower or copper tubing around your lines to keep your beer cold.

Check for leaks for a bit, just in case, but it sounds like you have yourself a new kegerator ! Just curious, looks like you can fit two in there? Keep up the good work!
__________________
Broken Face Brewery
Est. 2008

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
Mustangfreak
 
Mustangfreak's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Osan AB South Korea/Home is Ft Worth Tx
Posts: 585
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
It should work just fine, as long as you don't keep the door open or open it a lot. If you add a tower to the top, I would advise a blower or copper tubing around your lines to keep your beer cold.

Check for leaks for a bit, just in case, but it sounds like you have yourself a new kegerator ! Just curious, looks like you can fit two in there? Keep up the good work!
Only 1 keg
__________________
2 Fox Brewing Co.
www.militarystangs.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Posts: 1,389
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak View Post
Only 1 keg
What are the measurements on the bottom there? It looks like with removing the door panel, and moving the thermostat up you could fit two, but looks can be deceiving...
__________________
Broken Face Brewery
Est. 2008

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #8
Mustangfreak
 
Mustangfreak's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Osan AB South Korea/Home is Ft Worth Tx
Posts: 585
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
What are the measurements on the bottom there? It looks like with removing the door panel, and moving the thermostat up you could fit two, but looks can be deceiving...
I may be able to squeeze two in if I cut the door and move the thermo.

But I got it mostly to do some lagers.
__________________
2 Fox Brewing Co.
www.militarystangs.com

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Whirlpool? Grimsawyer General Techniques 20 10-12-2016 04:21 PM
Whirlpool - The big How-To Kaiser General Techniques 143 02-17-2014 07:29 PM
How many whirlpool? WBC All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 23 09-23-2011 02:06 PM
Can I whirlpool w/ this...... Dog House Brew Equipment/Sanitation 3 08-31-2009 02:17 PM
Sanyo vs GE vs Whirlpool for DIY keg fridge pktshc Bottling/Kegging 5 05-09-2008 05:03 AM


Forum Jump