bitter ale - what should I do now? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > bitter ale - what should I do now?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
Glibbidy
 
Glibbidy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Sunny Southern Vermont
Posts: 2,369
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts


Have you bottled it yet? You could brew a higher gravity beer with less hops, and blend the two at bottling time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #12
calman
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Posts: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by glibbidy
Have you bottled it yet? You could brew a higher gravity beer with less hops, and blend the two at bottling time.
The beer is three weeks old. I forced carbonated it last week in a keg and is in my refrigerator now. The hop I used was 3/4 oz Targer @60 min and 1/2 oz East Kent Golding @15 min. For the total of 1.25 oz of hop is not that much to make that kind of bitter, unless the East Kent Golding is super bitter one (first time using it).

I am tempted to make a second batch with one oz hop, but only at 5 min boil, and mix the two.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:21 AM   #13
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,892
Liked 168 Times on 88 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by calman
The beer is three weeks old. I forced carbonated it last week in a keg and is in my refrigerator now. The hop I used was 3/4 oz Targer @60 min and 1/2 oz East Kent Golding @15 min. For the total of 1.25 oz of hop is not that much to make that kind of bitter, unless the East Kent Golding is super bitter one (first time using it).

I am tempted to make a second batch with one oz hop, but only at 5 min boil, and mix the two.
If I remember correctly, Target can be pretty bitter but you didn't use that much. The ECG is more of a flavor hop and at 15 minutes it won't give your beer much bitterness at all. I wouldn't think that your beer should be all that bitter. Can you post the recipe and do you know the alpha acid percent of the hops?
__________________
Cheers,
Rich

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #14
mysterio
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 696
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Target is usually 11 AA and 3/4 ounce really isn't a huge amount... Of course it depends on the rest of your recipe though.

Do you mean 3 weeks from pitching or 3 weeks in the keg? Don't make a flavour only beer. You'll be left with a very sweet ale if the other one mellows out (which it will).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #15
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
West Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 1,171
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Two options:

1. Let it sit for about 3-4 months and try it again.

2. Mix it with another beer and drink it now.

I have had at least two batches of beer that I wasn't happy with at first, but drank anyway. Later, as I was down to less than one case left I was p*ssed to find out that my beer had suddenly transformed from the ugly ducking in to a swan. So there I was with some excellent brew but only a few bottles left.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #16
calman
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Posts: 97

I found out the culprit!!

I made a second batch last week with only aroma hop. Racked it to secondary last night, I took a glass and tasted it. Holly cr*p, it was the same bitterness level as the first batch. It's not the "soft" bitter of hop, it is a "sharp" bitter.

I took all my brewing equipment and place them on a table, I took my notes out and following the process as if I am brewing a new batch (you can guess how mad was I). Only hop or grain should gives bitter taste. Hop was fuggle whole leaf and added only at last minute. Grain soaked in 155F for 20 minutes, and my eyes were on the thermometer all the time making sure it didn't pass the 155 mark. I got the thermometer out and re-checked the scale , but wait, how come it showed 120F while it was 65F outside? Couple more tests and found out that it was a defected one. Put it in boiling water and it showed 160F, in freezer and it showed 100F How could it be? I think it was defected on a purpose of causing some damages. A closer looked at it and seemed like the inner tube got leak causing the wrong reading.

So on both batches, the grains got soaked in a too hot water, I am not sure what but I guess about ~200F! Well now, I'll go with david_42's advise, adding Gelatine to reduce the bitterness. I won't have enough keg to age the beer for long though. Hard lesson for me.

P.S. Anyone knows any good quality thermometer in $200 range?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #17
Kaiser
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,895
Liked 128 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by calman
P.S. Anyone knows any good quality thermometer in $200 range?
Why spend that much. I got mine for $10 at Walmart. Just check it with ice water and boiling water before you use it.

Kai

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #18
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by calman
I got the thermometer out and re-checked the scale , but wait, how come it showed 120F while it was 65F outside? Couple more tests and found out that it was a defected one. Put it in boiling water and it showed 160F, in freezer and it showed 100F How could it be? I think it was defected on a purpose of causing some damages. A closer looked at it and seemed like the inner tube got leak causing the wrong reading.
Is this one of those probe thermometers? If you get the braided probe lead wet, it totally f's up the readings, much like you describe.

If this is the case for you , you can 'fix' it by baking it at the lowest temp setting of your oven for an hour or two. Test it in boiling water and in ice water to make sure it is reading correct. If not, bake it longer.

Just be sure to not get the braided lead wet and it should be OK.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too Bitter AndrewKemendo General Techniques 9 07-05-2011 03:40 PM
Bitter APA Lando All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 07-17-2009 10:25 PM
Bitter Beer Face or Why the Bitter Beer Matt Up North General Beer Discussion 19 03-05-2009 05:06 AM
Just a Little Bitter TSH_Lance Extract Brewing 4 02-26-2009 04:59 PM
Bitter or Best Bitter B-rad General Beer Discussion 2 09-11-2008 01:21 AM


Forum Jump