Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Mr. Beer Cider Mixes?

Old 06-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #11
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyote
Hi Monk,
It didn't turn out the greatest, tasted watery to me. I drank about 10 of them and felt nothing.
Hey PhoenixCoyote.

I was looking the Mr Beer instructions.... ....specifically with regards to the water addition or top off. I can't tell if this is a typo or intentional.

Shipping Instructions stated, "top-off to the 8 quart mark. " There's no 8 qrt mark, only 4, 6, & 8.5

The owners manual says after adding cider wort/must top-off with 2 quarts, and 3 cups

Do the math for water additions; 1 gal + 2 qrts + 3 cups. = 6.75 qrts

The cider concentrate is 16 oz. = .5 qrt

The sugar; 3 cups = .75 qrt.

Water + concentrate + sugar = 6.75 + .5 + .75 = 8 qrts

If this is correct I added too much water, because I topped off to 8.5 qrts.

Did you do the same?????

I wonder if mine will be watery. Nearly every recipe has you top off to 8.5qrts

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 06-11-2006, 05:09 AM   #12
veggiess
Recipes 

Quote:
Hello,
Just so you know, i might have confused you. I did not make the 5 gallons in my primary with the Mr.Beer kit cider. I am planning on buying 6 gallons of apple juice to make that. But you rasie a good question though, i never thought of using the cider kit in my primary,that could happen. It would be cheaper. The cheapest i found for non preservative apple juice for 6 gallons is $24. But then again, with the shipping etc. from Mr.Beer it would work out the same.

All i added was regular table sugar, granular it says to use. Only takes 5 days to ferment. I also think sparkling is better tasting, but impatient to wait that long! Like i said in another post today, i need to make more,more often. Mr. Beer ships their products from Wisconsin, so with you in MN, shipping will be cheaper, at least it should be. Thanks
No, no confusion-I was just thinking of making a 5 gallon of it. I assume you made the batch (2 gal) in your Mr. Beer. But you said this batch turned out better, so I wondering how you did it. I thought I'd try the same thing, just at a larger scale so I have more. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #13
PhoenixCoyote
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
Hey PhoenixCoyote.

I was looking the Mr Beer instructions.... ....specifically with regards to the water addition or top off. I can't tell if this is a typo or intentional.

Shipping Instructions stated, "top-off to the 8 quart mark. " There's no 8 qrt mark, only 4, 6, & 8.5

The owners manual says after adding cider wort/must top-off with 2 quarts, and 3 cups

Do the math for water additions; 1 gal + 2 qrts + 3 cups. = 6.75 qrts

The cider concentrate is 16 oz. = .5 qrt

The sugar; 3 cups = .75 qrt.

Water + concentrate + sugar = 6.75 + .5 + .75 = 8 qrts

If this is correct I added too much water, because I topped off to 8.5 qrts.

Did you do the same?????

I wonder if mine will be watery. Nearly every recipe has you top off to 8.5qrts
Hello,
Yes, i topped off to the 8.5 line as well. So i guess on my second batch i had more sugar and less water since i used 3 cups of sugar. But the second batch did taste better. I saw those instructions but didn't pay attention to them either. That might explain why i got 23 bottles out of the batch instead of 20 ha ha. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #14
veggiess
Recipes 

An extra .5 quart isn't really too much-shouldn't be enough to make your cider "watery". Will be a little less concentrated, but not much, so if you added the full sugar you should be fine.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:31 AM   #15
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Default 8.5 Top off

Good! I was a little concerned after reading coyotes' post then my after the fact aknowledgement of the water addition. I also added three cups of sugar.

I'll be waiting the 5 weeks. I'll sample a shot glass full on Friday. I let you know how it fairs... Thanks!!

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 06-12-2006, 02:13 AM   #16
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With Mr. Beer mixes, I usually use 2 cans instead of adding boost or just some more unhopped LME to the one can. Maybe that pumps up the hop flavor too much, but it seems to come out nicely. ? I might try that with the cider...

Old 06-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #17
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I made my first batch of Mr. Beer Cider last night. However, it had a slight hitch. I used 2 cups of my "morena" cane sugar. It looked pretty white, but when it hit the hot water it turned it a little brown and smelled more like a brown sugar. Oh well, we'll see how that little distinction turns out in the end product.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:38 AM   #18
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Default My MRB Cider

I tasted my cider last night before bottling....

It tasted a little yeasty but its to be expected. It seemed pretty good. It had the apple taste, not too sweet or bitter, w/ the alcohol as well. I figure a little time (~5 weeks) I will be drinking the stuff. The yeast will drop out, carbonate and then refrigerate.

The whole process seemed pretty simple! The results decent. Worth the $5 for two gallons.

Did you ever notice the this banana is a lame ass dancer?

Bamberg-Style Wheat Rauchbier is up next!!!!!

BS Nano-Brewery