Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > all grain why coolers?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
KEITH27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default all grain why coolers?

hey guys im new to the site and glad i found it theres so much info on here i sit and read and read haha im up to like 3 in the am reading... i have been brewing a year now and want to try the all grain my first question is i see people using these plastic coolers and such with taps and i seen one guy had a pcv manifold? what are these used for?? the second quesion is what am i gaining by doing all grain instead of the malt powder/liquids? thanx for all your help guys as you have tought me tons

Old 01-15-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There are some really good photo walkthroughs that explain the different methods I've been reading, and think I'm going to follow as well:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/all-...rew-day-45921/

or

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/all-...own-ale-77705/

I pulled and read those from here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/all-...torials-78963/

There's just a TON of walkthroughs carefully showing every step of the way, I love this place. BTW I'm about to try my first AG too, so I'm not the guy w/ much in the way of answers, but those links may help.

~Phil

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Pelikan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The coolers are used because they hold in heat so well. You can have 150ish degree mash temps held for an hour or more without losing a single degree...which leads into the second question: They're used for the mash. Basically, you figure out how much grain you want to mash, and heat up 1.25-1.35 quarts per pound to your strike temp (generally around 167ish), mix the grain with this water in the cooler, and let it sit for an hour. Then the mash runnings get drained, and you fill the cooler up with sparge water (generally around 175-180 degrees strike temp). In a basic sense, this is used to rinse the grain. After about 10 minutes, this is drained and mixed with your first mash runnings.

It's a bit more involved than this, but this is the basic primer. A good link for the cooler conversion is here.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
KEITH27
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeiisneaks View Post
There are some really good photo walkthroughs that explain the different methods I've been reading, and think I'm going to follow as well:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/all-...rew-day-45921/

or

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/all-...own-ale-77705/

I pulled and read those from here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/all-...torials-78963/

There's just a TON of walkthroughs carefully showing every step of the way, I love this place. BTW I'm about to try my first AG too, so I'm not the guy w/ much in the way of answers, but those links may help.

~Phil

thanx for the info man ill take what i can get nothin worse than having brew go bad because you dont do something rite

Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Fingers

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

If you'd like some concise, light reading, try http://www.howtobrew.com

There's a book by the same name written by the same person that gets much, much more in depth. Start with that link and a lot of the questions you seem to have will be answered.

Reason: Fixed link.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
KEITH27
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
The coolers are used because they hold in heat so well. You can have 150ish degree mash temps held for an hour or more without losing a single degree...which leads into the second question: They're used for the mash. Basically, you figure out how much grain you want to mash, and heat up 1.25-1.35 quarts per pound to your strike temp (generally around 167ish), mix the grain with this water in the cooler, and let it sit for an hour. Then the mash runnings get drained, and you fill the cooler up with sparge water (generally around 175-180 degrees strike temp). In a basic sense, this is used to rinse the grain. After about 10 minutes, this is drained and mixed with your first mash runnings.

It's a bit more involved than this, but this is the basic primer. A good link for the cooler conversion is here.
so the manifold has holes or slits in it so the grain dont come through the spicket like a filter sort of?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:49 AM   #7
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hey Keith-

Welcome to the forum.. I am fairly new myself but I can tell you the guys and gals on this forum are great! They will take care of you..

To answer your question: Why all grain over extract? Well there are a lot of reasons for this, but first and foremost, IMOHO, all grain beer just flat tastes better.. I have been an extract brewer for ten years and just made the leap to all grain a few months ago and I can tell you, straight up, when I tasted that first batch of all grain ale, I immediately could taste the difference (I have since graduated to my seventh batch and it gets better all the time).. Not that you cant make excellent beers with extract, becaue you can and many awards have been won by extract brewers, all grain just tastes fresher and bolder. Also, using all grain gives you complete control over the beer you brew.. It is truly, 100% from scratch... The main reason I switched to all grain, honestly, was because I wanted to make beer "just like the REAL brewers out there".. And all grain gives you that satisfaction. Some people enjoy the ACT of making beer, they enjoy grinding grain, and testing temperatures, etc... All grain lets out the mad scientist in guys like that..

As for the cooler, these are mash tuns.. In all grain brewing, you need to "mash" your grains in water at a consistent temperature for a certain amount of time in order to get the sugars you need for yeast to work on... A picnic cooler just so happens to be made out of food grade plastic and is designed to keep foods at a certain temp.. But instead of keeping food cold, we are keeping liquid hot! These make affordable and easy mash tuns for the average homebrwer.. There are many styles and designs of mash tuns, but the converted cooler is cheap, easy, and proabably the most used system. The PVC dealy-bobbers are basically drains or "manifolds" that allow you to drain the liquid off the grain, without sucking up a whole bunch of grain and clogging your spout.... you will notice that the pvc probabyl has slits cut in it? thats what the slits are for.. Many guys use a stainless steel braid instead of the pvc manifold.. They both acocomplish the same thing.. This is built into the picnic cooler to avoid the need for what is called the "lauter tun" which is just a fancy word for "grain-water'draining-system", or a seperate vessel that allows you to drain your water off thr grain.. (Incidentally, this "grain" water is the same as your canned malt extract.. only we made it ourself!)

I could go on and on, but that's basically it in a nutshell.... Hope this helps

Happy brewing
Chris
XXguy Likes This 
Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

BTW, in the time it took me to write that previous post, like six people had already answered your question.. THIS PLACES RULES!!!! Howz that for service?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 AM   #9
KEITH27
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider4 View Post
Hey Keith-

Welcome to the forum.. I am fairly new myself but I can tell you the guys and gals on this forum are great! They will take care of you..

To answer your question: Why all grain over extract? Well there are a lot of reasons for this, but first and foremost, IMOHO, all grain beer just flat tastes better.. I have been an extract brewer for ten years and just made the leap to all grain a few months ago and I can tell you, straight up, when I tasted that first batch of all grain ale, I immediately could taste the difference (I have since graduated to my seventh batch and it gets better all the time).. Not that you cant make excellent beers with extract, becaue you can and many awards have been won by extract brewers, all grain just tastes fresher and bolder. Also, using all grain gives you complete control over the beer you brew.. It is truly, 100% from scratch... The main reason I switched to all grain, honestly, was because I wanted to make beer "just like the REAL brewers out there".. And all grain gives you that satisfaction. Some people enjoy the ACT of making beer, they enjoy grinding grain, and testing temperatures, etc... All grain lets out the mad scientist in guys like that..

As for the cooler, these are mash tuns.. In all grain brewing, you need to "mash" your grains in water at a consistent temperature for a certain amount of time in order to get the sugars you need for yeast to work on... A picnic cooler just so happens to be made out of food grade plastic and is designed to keep foods at a certain temp.. But instead of keeping food cold, we are keeping liquid hot! These make affordable and easy mash tuns for the average homebrwer.. There are many styles and designs of mash tuns, but the converted cooler is cheap, easy, and proabably the most used system. The PVC dealy-bobbers are basically drains or "manifolds" that allow you to drain the liquid off the grain, without sucking up a whole bunch of grain and clogging your spout.... you will notice that the pvc probabyl has slits cut in it? thats what the slits are for.. Many guys use a stainless steel braid instead of the pvc manifold.. They both acocomplish the same thing.. This is built into the picnic cooler to avoid the need for what is called the "lauter tun" which is just a fancy word for "grain-water'draining-system", or a seperate vessel that allows you to drain your water off thr grain.. (Incidentally, this "grain" water is the same as your canned malt extract.. only we made it ourself!)

I could go on and on, but that's basically it in a nutshell.... Hope this helps

Happy brewing
Chris

its all coming togather now i think i understand let me ask you this were can i find a recipe that tells me what to do as far as how long to cook the grains and when to add and when to pour i guess im lookin for a fool proof way to do it so i dont mess it up it looks like im going to lowes in the am to get what i need to make one of these bad boys lol thanx for your help guys

Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 AM   #10
KEITH27
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider4 View Post
BTW, in the time it took me to write that previous post, like six people had already answered your question.. THIS PLACES RULES!!!! Howz that for service?
yea like i said before im so glad i ran into this place i have a forum for my r.c car racing and paintball but no one is as half as freindly they would be flaming me rite now tellin me i should google it and such well what the hell is the point of a forum i thought it was to share lol