Saffron Spice Metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
Per request, this is a spiced mead using saffron. I began with a traditional mead

15 pounds of alfalfa honey
water to five gallons

Hydrate D-47 per manufacturer's instructions. Step feed at 12 hours, 1/3 sugar break, and 2/3 sugar break.

OG 1.106
FG .996

After fermentation I split this into three gallons of traditional mead to bulk age (photo in gallery), 1 gallon of German Chocolate coffee mead (photo in gallery), and 1 gallon of Saffron Spice (photo below). I prepared the spices as follows:

I roasted 1 gram of saffron in a small frying pan and added to a French press along with a small thumbnail of fresh ginger, 1 bay leaf, pinches of cinnamon stick, blade mace, and a couple tablespoons grains of paradise. Add 3/4 cup boiling water and steep for 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature and add to a 1-gallon glass carboy. Add 1/2 cup of honey. Add base dry traditional mead. Age for three month and, when clear, bottle.

IMG_1537.JPG

Per request, this is a spiced mead using saffron. I began with a traditional mead

15 pounds of alfalfa honey
water to five gallons

Hydrate D-47 per manufacturer's instructions. Step feed at 12 hours, 1/3 sugar break, and 2/3 sugar break.

OG 1.106
FG .996

After fermentation I split this into three gallons of traditional mead to bulk age (photo in gallery), 1 gallon of German Chocolate coffee mead (photo in gallery), and 1 gallon of Saffron Spice (photo below). I prepared the spices as follows:

I roasted 1 gram of saffron in a small frying pan and added to a French press along with a small thumbnail of fresh ginger, 1 bay leaf, pinches of cinnamon stick, blade mace, and a couple tablespoons grains of paradise. Add 3/4 cup boiling water and steep for 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature and add to a 1-gallon glass carboy. Add 1/2 cup of honey. Add base dry traditional mead. Age for three month and, when clear, bottle.

IMG_1537.JPG

This is a great recipe but let me ask, how did the saffron spice turn out in the end? and how can this one recipe be tweaked to the full 5 gallons?

It turned out great. To make a five gallon batch just follow the recipe for a traditional mead and multiply the spices by five. Use a full cup or so of boiling water to steep the spices. You're going to have to back sweeten according to your tastes but start with a pint or so and go from there.

It turned out great. To make a five gallon batch just follow the recipe for a traditional mead and multiply the spices by five. Use a full cup or so of boiling water to steep the spices. You're going to have to back sweeten according to your tastes but start with a pint or so and go from there.

Simple enough just let the 5 gals of trad run its course then drop in the spices at the end of final racking?

Back