Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Saffron Spice Metheglin

Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

Default Saffron Spice Metheglin

Per request, this is a spiced mead using saffron. I began with a traditional mead

15 pounds of alfalfa honey
water to five gallons

Hydrate D-47 per manufacturer's instructions. Step feed at 12 hours, 1/3 sugar break, and 2/3 sugar break.

OG 1.106
FG .996

After fermentation I split this into three gallons of traditional mead to bulk age (photo in gallery), 1 gallon of German Chocolate coffee mead (photo in gallery), and 1 gallon of Saffron Spice (photo below). I prepared the spices as follows:

I roasted 1 gram of saffron in a small frying pan and added to a French press along with a small thumbnail of fresh ginger, 1 bay leaf, pinches of cinnamon stick, blade mace, and a couple tablespoons grains of paradise. Add 3/4 cup boiling water and steep for 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature and add to a 1-gallon glass carboy. Add 1/2 cup of honey. Add base dry traditional mead. Age for three month and, when clear, bottle.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
Per request, this is a spiced mead using saffron. I began with a traditional mead

15 pounds of alfalfa honey
water to five gallons

Hydrate D-47 per manufacturer's instructions. Step feed at 12 hours, 1/3 sugar break, and 2/3 sugar break.

OG 1.106
FG .996

After fermentation I split this into three gallons of traditional mead to bulk age (photo in gallery), 1 gallon of German Chocolate coffee mead (photo in gallery), and 1 gallon of Saffron Spice (photo below). I prepared the spices as follows:

I roasted 1 gram of saffron in a small frying pan and added to a French press along with a small thumbnail of fresh ginger, 1 bay leaf, pinches of cinnamon stick, blade mace, and a couple tablespoons grains of paradise. Add 3/4 cup boiling water and steep for 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature and add to a 1-gallon glass carboy. Add 1/2 cup of honey. Add base dry traditional mead. Age for three month and, when clear, bottle.

This is a great recipe but let me ask, how did the saffron spice turn out in the end? and how can this one recipe be tweaked to the full 5 gallons?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
summersolstice
Recipes 

It turned out great. To make a five gallon batch just follow the recipe for a traditional mead and multiply the spices by five. Use a full cup or so of boiling water to steep the spices. You're going to have to back sweeten according to your tastes but start with a pint or so and go from there.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
It turned out great. To make a five gallon batch just follow the recipe for a traditional mead and multiply the spices by five. Use a full cup or so of boiling water to steep the spices. You're going to have to back sweeten according to your tastes but start with a pint or so and go from there.

Simple enough just let the 5 gals of trad run its course then drop in the spices at the end of final racking?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
summersolstice
Recipes 

Yep - that plus the backsweetneing at the same time you do the spices.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #6
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

since using a french press, none of the spices get into the must? just the liquid that the spices steeped in?

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
summersolstice
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBrewer View Post
since using a french press, none of the spices get into the must? just the liquid that the spices steeped in?
That's what I did. It's probably not very efficient but it provided a very nice spice balance with the amounts indicated.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you actually able to taste the saffron?