Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Frigidaire 14.8 cuft Keezer
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
GreenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Posts: 86
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Frigidaire 14.8 cuft Keezer

Three questions. One about probes and one about towers.

So I got a Frigidaire 14.8 cuft freezer for Christmas and have added the Love Controller to panel where the old controller was got it wired up and thought I would be lucky enough that the probe for the Love controller would fit where the old probe was but the tube that the old probe was in. What would be the best thing to do with the new probe? Should I just drill a hole in the compressor shelf? (the controller is in the same compartment that the compressor is in.)

I bought a 4" tower with 4 holes in it to eventually place 4 taps. I plan on using a piece of wood like Arneba28 did. What thickness of wood should I use?

And instead of drilling a 4 inch hole in the top of the freezer can I just drill 4 holes that are slightly larger then the tubing OD and shove each tap hose through each hole? Is there anything wrong with this?

Thanks.
GreenMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
GreenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Posts: 86
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Anyone? Should I post this in the bottling/kegging forum?
GreenMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Kauai_Kahuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,276
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Sorry, I built a collar when I made mine, it made things so much easier.
I think you would want to drill one large hole so it would be easier to re-enforce the tower with wood below it and still seal/insulate it well, but it would depend on the bottom of your tower. Sorry I can't help more, but I hate it when no-one answers so I'll just finish with good luck, hope it comes out great.
__________________
---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.
Kauai_Kahuna is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
GreenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Posts: 86
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Bought the tower from A C U Precision Sheetmetal Fabrication. The bottom is basically a cylinder with a ring welled to the bottom to make it flat. The ring has 4 holes drilled in it for securing it to the surface of whatever you are mounting it too. I was thinking of using the large piece of wood to stiffen up the lid of the freezer and then just screw wood screws to fasten the tower to the wood. The wood would probably be fastened to the lid with 4 bolts through the lid with large washers on both sides. I'll try to take some pictures tonight or tomorrow of what I am planning. Thanks for the reply.
GreenMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
yermej
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Posts: 306
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMan View Post
thought I would be lucky enough that the probe for the Love controller would fit where the old probe was but the tube that the old probe was in.
I think something's missing there - what about the tube the old probe was in?

Quote:
What thickness of wood should I use?
In the post you linked he uses 3/4". I wouldn't think it would really matter though; whatever looks good to you.

Quote:
And instead of drilling a 4 inch hole in the top of the freezer can I just drill 4 holes that are slightly larger then the tubing OD and shove each tap hose through each hole? Is there anything wrong with this?
Nothing wrong with that, but it seems like more work to me. Even though the tower is 4", you don't have to drill a 4" hole. Just drill one big enough for all the tubing and that'll be fine. I have a 2 faucet, 3" ACU tower and used a 2 1/2" hole saw, I think.

Actually, it might be better to have a slightly smaller hole to give you some wiggle room when mounting the tower. My hole saw skills are non-existent so I ended up a bit off center. I just made sure I drilled the mounting holes correctly and it doesn't matter that the 2 1/2" hole isn't quite right (didn't get that right on the first try either). Also, with one larger hole, it would be easier to add in some sort of tower cooling if you decide you need it (something like a fan blowing cold air through tubing or a passive cooler using copper tubing).

And yes, this might be better answered in the bottling/kegging forum, but it's DIY too so either should be okay.
yermej is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
GreenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Posts: 86
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yermej View Post
I think something's missing there - what about the tube the old probe was in?
The old probe was a bendable metal rod that got shoved up this tube in the roof of the compressor compartment. I was thinking that this would be ideal spot to put the new probe the the new digital probe is to large of a diameter to fit in that tube. Currently the probe is just hanging over the top of the freezer under the lid.
Quote:
In the post you linked he uses 3/4". I wouldn't think it would really matter though; whatever looks good to you.
Thanks. I think I might go thinner then 3/4" but I want the wood to still give the tower support since the lid of the freezer is not that stiff and would make the tower pretty wobbly.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that, but it seems like more work to me. Even though the tower is 4", you don't have to drill a 4" hole. Just drill one big enough for all the tubing and that'll be fine. I have a 2 faucet, 3" ACU tower and used a 2 1/2" hole saw, I think.

Actually, it might be better to have a slightly smaller hole to give you some wiggle room when mounting the tower. My hole saw skills are non-existent so I ended up a bit off center. I just made sure I drilled the mounting holes correctly and it doesn't matter that the 2 1/2" hole isn't quite right (didn't get that right on the first try either). Also, with one larger hole, it would be easier to add in some sort of tower cooling if you decide you need it (something like a fan blowing cold air through tubing or a passive cooler using copper tubing).

And yes, this might be better answered in the bottling/kegging forum, but it's DIY too so either should be okay.
I was thinking it would be easier to just drill 4 smaller holes since I don't have a hole saw but I have drill bits that would fit the tubing.

How well does the passive cooling work? It is just a copper tubing that is partially in the freezer and partially in the tower right? Basically trying to work like a heat sink right?
GreenMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
yermej
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Posts: 306
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMan View Post
The old probe was a bendable metal rod that got shoved up this tube in the roof of the compressor compartment. I was thinking that this would be ideal spot to put the new probe the the new digital probe is to large of a diameter to fit in that tube. Currently the probe is just hanging over the top of the freezer under the lid.
I'm not sure I'm picturing it right, but can you remove the old tube and widen the hole that it used? I wouldn't think there would be any problem drilling through the compressor compartment (especially if it's near the old probe), but no guarantees.

Quote:
I was thinking it would be easier to just drill 4 smaller holes since I don't have a hole saw but I have drill bits that would fit the tubing.
Yeah, that would work.

Quote:
How well does the passive cooling work? It is just a copper tubing that is partially in the freezer and partially in the tower right? Basically trying to work like a heat sink right?
Yep, it's basically a heat sink. There's a thread on it as a few people here have done it.
yermej is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
GreenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Posts: 86
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

That thread was perfect. Thanks. Now all I need is to go to the hardware store.
GreenMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
MadDwarf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MadDwarf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 138
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

14.8cf and only 4 taps? Are you using half-barrel Sanke kegs?
__________________
Anvil Horn Brewing

Fermenter:
Oatmeal Stout
Edwort's Apfelwein
American Pale

On Tap:
Honey Dunkelweizen
Wee Heavy Scotch
Edwort's Apfelwein
MadDwarf is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
GreenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Posts: 86
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDwarf View Post
14.8cf and only 4 taps? Are you using half-barrel Sanke kegs?
Just started out kegging. Only have two soda kegs now so I only have 2 taps so far on the tower with two tap-less holes. Got 4 more kegs coming soon from insco2 so two more taps will be needed once I get those filled.

I planned ahead when I got the freezer so that down the road I can add another 2-4 tap tower on the other side of the freezer when I get more money and equipment. Haven't read anyone be disappointing with buying too large of a freezer before. Short term though, I think 4 taps and two extra backup kegs to replace the empty ones will work. I'm pretty sure I can fit 6 kegs and a better bottle in there too so I can lager as well now.

Could probably fit about 3 half-barrels in there though. I'll take some pictures of the inside and add it to the Sizing your Chest Freezer thread once I get the rest of my kegs.
GreenMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frigidaire upright freezer keezer-able? xumbi Bottling/Kegging 26 06-22-2011 07:56 PM
Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Keezer? doggage Bottling/Kegging 3 05-14-2009 10:56 PM
Keezer Candidate Questions - Frigidaire 5.0 goofiefoot Bottling/Kegging 3 01-09-2009 04:06 AM
5 cuft freezer question MikeInCtown Equipment/Sanitation 3 06-06-2008 04:14 PM
GE Freezer Model, anyone have? (24.9 CuFt) nathan Equipment/Sanitation 3 06-01-2008 02:03 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS