Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I love S-05

Old 01-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I love S-05

With all my fancy schmancy brewing I've been doing lately I have been relying on harvested and cultivated yeasts mainly and at least WLP yeasts with big starters.

Yesterday I did an IPA and just pitched a dry packet of 05 into the carboy after aeration. Wake up this morning and the carboy is pretty much ready for a blowoff tube. And I like the taste of 05 beers too. Nice and clean and dependent upon the high quality of the ingredients to make a good finished product.

Man does that air coming out of the airlock smell great! It is hop heaven. 5 oz so far with another 1.5 oz going in on secondary. My whole kitchen smells like a combo of citrus and pine and x'mas and . . .well. . . victory.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2875 Times on 1700 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Yeah, 05 or 04 are my standard "go to" yeasties for 95% of my brewing. It's clean, takes off fast and you really don't need to worry about rehydrating it.

It's also gluten free for you gluten free brewers (grown on molasses rather than barley.)

Not to mention it's dirt cheap....I pick up a pack or two every time I go to the lhbs and leave it in the fridge.

Unless I'm trying to get a flavor profile from from yeast (like in Belgians) I just use these...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Hey that's good to know.

I was going to use Windsor but was only able to get 05. I pitched 22g
rehydrated on my first 5 gallon batch for a Pale Ale and after 2 days I
have about 4+ inches of krausen and my carboy is churning and bubbling
at 62f. Fermentation started within 12 hours.

And my closet smells like glorious hops!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Good stuff, used a pack Sunday.

Aerate, rehydrate and it will be bubbling away in a hour. Nice, clean taste for an ale, too.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
mw20
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right now I really can't afford liquid yeast (8.99 @ lhbs). I love o5. It does start quick and my beers come out very clean tasting. Also, if you read the temp range for this strain, it is pretty forgiving. I think it's like 59 to 75 F. I ferment most beer at about 67 and they come out great.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Deacon240
Recipes 

I love the fermentis yeasts. Those lil guys are champs and take off quick. Never once rehydrated them.

Primary1: Envy - Green Tea Wheat (4/11/09)
Secondary: Schwarzbier Kit (1/11/09)
Bottle Conditioning: None ATM
Drinking: None ATM
Up Next: Lemon Honey Pilsner (est. unknown)

Old 01-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
ChickenSoop
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just used a Nottingham, and after 2 weeks in the primary I still have these tiny brownish floaters that just won't give up and die.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
garbs
Recipes 

I used S04 in a pumpkin ale I made and it was crystal clear after just 2 weeks in the primary...I will be using this yeast for just about everything I make in the future

Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenSoop View Post
I just used a Nottingham, and after 2 weeks in the primary I still have these tiny brownish floaters that just won't give up and die.
Notty is a champ too! Despite your stubborn ferment. (Too cold maybe?) It adds a nice British Isles touch.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah, 05 or 04 are my standard "go to" yeasties for 95% of my brewing. It's clean, takes off fast and you really don't need to worry about rehydrating it.

It's also gluten free for you gluten free brewers (grown on molasses rather than barley.)

Not to mention it's dirt cheap....I pick up a pack or two every time I go to the lhbs and leave it in the fridge.

Unless I'm trying to get a flavor profile from from yeast (like in Belgians) I just use these...
Did not know about the gluten free part. (Don't really know gluten -free in general, don't care to.)

I have forced lately to go liquid because my last four batches have been Belgians. My next two will be as well. I enjoyed this break.