First Brew hops question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCharles

Reaction score
First off, hello everyone I'm glad to find such a knowledgeable and friendly forum!

I have a batch of a Belgian Pale Ale sitting in primary fermentation as of right now doing just fine bubbling away. My question is that I didn't rack the wort from the brew kettle into the primary fermentor, I just dumped it in with hopes of aerating it a little easier. I'm pretty confident that this isn't that big of a deal, but my question is that because of this process there is a considerable amount of hops residue (I used pellets) still in the fermenting brew. What will this do as far as flavor or anything else I should be concerned about for future batches?

Thank you guys,
Adam

It's fine. I think we've all done it. There's just more stuff floating around that will need to settle out. You shouldn't really get any more bitterness out of them because it's not boiling. Assuming you've done all of the cleaning and sanitation correctly, you'll have beer.:tank:

Yeah, you'll be fine. If you're that super worried about it, you can always do a secondary or add gelatin prior to bottling

I never rack into primary i just dump it :) Most of that fun stuff drops out with the rest of the sediment from what i hear at least while using pellet hops.

Too many hops and you'll get "Hop Poisoning". At stage 3, this can lead to one becoming a "Hophead". There is no known cure, but you can control the condition with regular infusions of more hops.

No damage done.
If you are using carboys, invest in a funnel and a small strainer that will fit the funnel. Pouring your wort through this will aerate the heck out of it plus catch any unwanted items. If you use a pail, just get a large strainer (colander). I'm lucky in that my SWMBO helps me with holding the strainer.

K here's a little follow up question. I have both a plastic 5 gallon bucket which I'm using as a primary fermentor/bottling bucket and a 5 gallon carboy which I'm using as secondary fermentor. Would it be advantageous for my in any way to reverse this and use the glass carboy as the primary fermentor? If it makes any difference I'm not a peeker and I'm perfectly comfortable with filling the carboy, putting it away, and not touching it.

No damage done.
If you are using carboys, invest in a funnel and a small strainer that will fit the funnel. Pouring your wort through this will aerate the heck out of it plus catch any unwanted items. If you use a pail, just get a large strainer (colander). I'm lucky in that my SWMBO helps me with holding the strainer.

Make sure you cool the wort first, before pouring through the strainer, as many believe if the wort is too warm going through, will oxidize it, which is different than aerating -- and is bad (again, another opinion by many) -- (just passing on info I've read/heard)

FOLLOW UP.

I finally bottled this batch and of course tasted my gravity reading sample and it was fantastic! Very hoppy, but man was it good. Finished the whole sample and the half bottle at the end that didn't quite make it to full!

i just brewed a porter that had a lot of hops on the fermenter, but after i conditioned it for a month or so, they almost all had settled out. filtering the beer or not is all a matter of preference, it shouldnt have an impact on taste. or so ive been told.

Back