California Ale yeast with Edworts Apfelwein? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > California Ale yeast with Edworts Apfelwein?

Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
RGH
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Baumholder,RP, DE

I have been culturing White labs California Ale (WLP001 I believe) and have about a quarter of a cup right now in the flask that I aerate 3 to 4 times daily by giving it a few good swirls, and I feed it a DME+nutrient every 3 to four days. Would that go good in Edworts Apfelwein? also when I went to the fridge I noticed that I have a smidgen of some english ale (WLP002) yeast sleeping in a tube so that would be an option once I revive it and let it multiply. Any thoughts? thanks in advance!

end of discussion.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

The thing that sets Edwort's recipe apart from other is its dryness from the Danstar Nottingham yeast. So it is really up to you and how sweet you want it to finish. Nottinghay looks like it will finish the dryest, with Cali Ale not far behind, and then the English Ale yeast will finish relatively sweet.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Liked 115 Times on 69 Posts

I think the cali ale would work just fine. It won't be as dry as the wine yeast, but that could be an asset. I would think the English ale would finish way too sweet for my tastes but if you want it sweet that would be the one to pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
RGH
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Baumholder,RP, DE

Thanks guys! I have about 50ml of the Cali ale yeast, is that too much? Will the yeast change the awesome 8.5% ABV? With a four-day weekend upon me and a kegerator in the midst, I think its gonna be a good one.

end of discussion.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Finger Lakes
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I thought Eds used Montrachet. Nottingham should finish sweeter

DanH Likes This