Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Looks like I may be done brewing for a while

Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Looks like I may be done brewing for a while

You ever feel like things are FINALLY going in the right direction in your life, for once, and then have everything go south, really quickly?

Long story short, I bought a Grand Prix GTP a little over 2 years ago. It would have been paid off already except for an accident where I had to buy the car back from the INS company and fix it myself. So the loan was AGAIN almost paid off, was gonna use my tax return to pay it off next month. So, I was out Friday night and as I was coming home, I got to the stop sign a mere block from my house. I stopped and the car shut off. Odd. I tried to start it, nothing, tried for the next 2 days to get it running. Nothing. Took it to a shop and they inform me that my bottom end (Crank/rods/pistons/block) has let loose on me somehow. Either the block cracked (Why the oil and coolant had a party in the oilpan and made a milkshake looking liquid) or the crank cracked/broke or a rod broke and punctured the block.

So, now after going from the dreams of being nearly debt free in a month I will go $2600 more into debt than I was before.

I was so close. Looks like I might start doing A.G. IF I can even brew at all. Its cheaper...

Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewing and owning pontiacs don't mix. Hell, owning a Pontiac and having money in your pocket are pretty much mutually exclusive. At least with the cheapo car companies like Kia and Hyundai, you get a ridiculous b2b warranty.

It might be time to give up on the Pontillac instead of continuing to polish that turd. Just sayin. Get a little fuel-efficient Kia or something with a 100k+ b2b warranty.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts

Take the bus. Double win, you can drink all the homebrew you want without a DUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
RedIrocZ-28

Recipes 

Fuel efficient is that cars middle name! 33mpg highway, over 300hp (honest to god), runs 13 second 1/4 mile times at the track.

I have never owned anything but GM, I'm too much of a 'murican car type of person.

Stinky people ride the bus. Plus I don't know of any busses that go between cities 25 miles apart. :hmm:

Trying to accumulate more Budweiser American Ale bottles than Revvy... 1 six pack at a time.

My DIY Immersion Chiller <------ Click Me :)

Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
nvr2low
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28 View Post
Fuel efficient is that cars middle name! 33mpg highway, over 300hp (honest to god), runs 13 second 1/4 mile times at the track.

I have never owned anything but GM, I'm too much of a 'murican car type of person.

Stinky people ride the bus. Plus I don't know of any busses that go between cities 25 miles apart. :hmm:
doesn't matter how fast it goes if it doesn't run!

my wife had a sunfire and i had a grand am back in the day. never had any real problems with either car, would never buy either one again though! Most GM's dont do much for me. i will stick with my 4cyl ranger for now, never breaks, will haul anything i need it to and gets 30mpg.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28 View Post

Well, look, if having 300 horses and an American-made car is important to ya, then I guess you'll have to deal with it. Don't know of too many high-HP affordable American cars that are terribly reliable.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
RedIrocZ-28

Recipes 

Its not "important" to me per se, but its what I have. My net worth, not including debt is $108 on paper right now, and tomorrow is payday. My net worth including debt is about -$3900.

I don't exactly have a choice here in going out and buying another car. This one isn't paid off yet. And even if it was, I could afford AT MOST $200 a month car payment. ($100 more than what I am paying right now).

Many people don't understand how I live as freely as I do on the amount of money that I have. To be honest, I don't either. Just because I look like I have money doesn't mean I do. :lol:

Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Ben25
Recipes 

My parents and one of their friends both had Pontiac Sunbirds, and both of the blocks cracked at 75k miles. That's some real quality there.
Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
Computertekguy
Recipes 

All my GM's have/had over 200k miles on them, all run good.

Speaking of which, I gotta fix a hose on my Lumina, got a little loose and leaky.

As for my fords and Dodges, all are probably processed into pots and pans by now, lol.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #10
RedIrocZ-28

Recipes 

My Car Club may come to my rescue. All the guys are offering up workspace, tools, etc etc. I'd really rather not pay the $1500 in labor cost if I don't have to but I am not able to do this myself with my work schedule the way it is. I love those guys. I hope we can get it figured out.