Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Temperature Readings In The Cold

Old 01-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
nfc_andy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature Readings In The Cold

So I'm still pretty new to brewing and Saturday I brewed my first below freezing batch, fifth overall. I have an all grain set up in my uninsulated garage and every time I took a temperature reading the temperature seemed to drop 5 - 10 degrees. I have a space heater I use to heat the space, but it didn't get above 40 for the five hours I was out there. I use 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers for the MLT and HLT and having the top off for the ten seconds the lab thermometer took to get a reading seemed reckless. I let the mash set for the entire hour after taking the initial reading so not to lose the heat and I reached my target OG so I can't complain too much though it may have been more luck than anything.

I guess my question is does anyone have a good solution to compensate for such temperature loss, or should I just break down and insulate the area I brew in? I refuse to wait until spring to brew my next batch so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You can run off some of the wort part way through the mash, heat it and dump it back into the mash to raise the temp. I think most if not all the brewing software should be able to calculate how much liquid heated to what temperature will give you what increase.

I us Beertools and it will tell me that stuff. I use it sometimes when I do something stupid and miss my mash in temp by a bunch.