Any yerba mate drinkers out there? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any yerba mate drinkers out there?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #1

Just wondering....

Yerba mate is a bitter infusion that is traditionally consumed in Argentina and is incredibly rich in antioxidants and vitamins. I was first introduced to the beverage by an Argentinian co-worker who prepared his mate daily in a gourd and a metal filtered straw called a bombilla.

Tasty stuff, but it's an acquired taste.

[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMA4xSFm_NE[/URL]

Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
quixotic
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Bay Area, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Definitely. I just got back from 3 weeks in Argentina, and it seemed like everyone there had a mate and a thermos of water with them at all times. The first few mates taste a lot like hot dirty water, but it grows on you. Add lots of sugar for your first try. Mateine produces a nice "buzz" without the jittery effects like caffeine.
secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 01-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 539 Times on 431 Posts

When you first try it, you learn why "yerba mate" means "weed killer". But it does grow on you.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I have some at home. It's not bad. Not my favorite, but every once-in-a-while I like a nice cup or two. I haven't tried the roasted kind yet, only the 'green' one.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #5

Yeah, I've only tried the unsmoked mate myself- and it's a part of my daily routine to enjoy the gourd.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
snazzy

Recipes 

May 2008
Indiana
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think that I tried a beer in Louisville with that in it. It was at cumberland brews. A pale ale with yerba somehow brewed in.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
the Desert, CA
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts

My sister was in Argentina last month and brought me some yerba mate. I'll have to try it soon.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
Anthony_Lopez

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Groton, MA
Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts

I dunno about that stuff not having the "buzz" effect. I had a cup of that a few years ago, and made the mistake of using two of the tea bags instead of one. I now know what Tony Montana felt like after that big mountain of cocaine in the closing scene of the movie...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
quixotic
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Bay Area, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Lopez View Post
I dunno about that stuff not having the "buzz" effect. I had a cup of that a few years ago, and made the mistake of using two of the tea bags instead of one. I now know what Tony Montana felt like after that big mountain of cocaine in the closing scene of the movie...
It definitely does produce a buzz, but I don't get jittery on mate like I do after a few coffees. Also, if you used teabags, it really wasn't a true mate. Traditionally, you add small amounts of hot water directly into the yerba mate, and filter it through the bombilla (straw). The teabag version is a lot less potent than the real deal. Sort of like the difference between a Bud Light and a homebrewed barleywine.
secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
TeufelBrew

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Denver, Colorado
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Got tired of all the 'pipe' jokes when sipping on my gourd at work. Now I have some on weekends and still get funny looks from SWMBO.

The sharing part is hard for me. I don't like sucking on the bombilla after other people have slobered on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.