Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > PET screw top bottles

Old 05-29-2006, 05:39 AM   #1
veggiess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default PET screw top bottles

Anyone used these? They are the plastic ones, like bottles of pop come in. I received 24 oz ones with my beer kit and am wondering how well they work. You re-use the cap (screw top). I like the idea of them being big & reusing the bottles, but having brown plastic bottles of beer almost feels like the ghetto way of doing it. I see the pluses however:

-big
-reusable caps
-light bottles
-impossible (nearly) to break

Any information/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Old 05-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I use them all the time. the only thing to watch out for is that you can't age anything in them for too long. They start to oxidize after about 3-6months (I've heard )
Other than that they work really well.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
veggiess
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. They oxidize? That's strange. I'm not sure that's true. I think I"ll look up more about those; I know there's a lot of info out there. I just wasn't sure how well they would work for brew-especially carbonation.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
dangermouse
Recipes 

what i think he meant was because they are not dark coloured the light can break down the beer giving off flavours and the like even within hours of being bottled so always store them in a dark place for best results

Old 06-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
johnoswald
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think he meant was just what he said.
Normal PET is oxygen permeable. The O2 will scoot right through the plastic and start to degrade your beer. Even though the beer under pressure (water, ethanol, CO2 and the tasty stuff) can't get out.
There are some PET bottles in some test markets which have the inside coated with a fine layer of silicon dioxide to render them O2 proof.
Check the bottom to see what the stamps say.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Markusface
Recipes 

One advantage is that they don't explode if you overprime... just gets extremely messy when you open them
Secondary: IPA
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale Almost gone :( t'were delicious!
Mysteriously Disappeared: Some Random Dark Ale - Cooper's Bavarian Lager - Mexican Cerveza - Black Sheep Export Bitter - Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 06-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I use the brown Coors bottles for shipping beer to people. They are great for that because there's no worry about breakage. They are also double lined to help keep air out but I still wouldn't trust them for long term storage.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
klcramer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

those don't look like the normal beer cap. What kind of cap are they? Are they twist offs?

Old 06-03-2006, 04:54 AM   #9
veggiess
Recipes 

"what i think he meant was because they are not dark coloured the light can break down the beer giving off flavours and the like even within hours of being bottled so always store them in a dark place for best results"

Well, the ones I got are dark-just as dark as amber glass bottles. They do not appear to be lined, so I suppose the oxidation could be a problem. I'm guessing this will not be a big deal if I don't store them too long? I keep my beer in the closet until it makes it to the fridge-and I can't imagine 30 24oz bottles of beer lasting more than 6 months.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #10
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default PET Bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
I use them all the time. the only thing to watch out for is that you can't age anything in them for too long. They start to oxidize after about 3-6months (I've heard )
Other than that they work really well.
I exclusively use PET bottles. I like using them. I use the Liter/Quart size. Quick & easy bottling. No bottle bombs. I haven't had one gusher yet either.

I only used them about 6 months. Nothing stays in them for more than three months so far. If I make some heavy stuff I will use glass.

Using PET I think its worth while to occasionally buy new caps. The seal will get fatigued, threads worn.

It does seem ghetto-like, but who cares? As long as it taste good. I don't drink from PET I always have a glass. Most of the time about 80% its just me and the neighbor drinking.

Now if I had a Quart PET in a brown paper bag swilling on the deck. That would be urban ghetto.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|