Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 2qt./LB Mash...

Old 02-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #51
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
Is a thin mash still considered a good method for ales w/ 2 row? Or is this better used with German lagers and their different grains(Vienna, Munich, Pils)
I think it works regardless of the type of malt.

But I like to point out that traditional English mashes are thick (1-1.25 qt/lb) mashes and that you may want to keep mashing thick if your are making English style beers. For German beers it's the other way around. thin mashes are traditional. I'm saying that b/c the mash thicknes has the potential to effect the character of the beer.

Kai

Old 02-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #52
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts

Kind of off topic, but I want to try this. How do you change your mash ratio in beersmith? Im having a hell of a time finding it. I believe the default setting is 1.25 qt/lb.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #53
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Kind of off topic, but I want to try this. How do you change your mash ratio in beersmith? Im having a hell of a time finding it. I believe the default setting is 1.25 qt/lb.
Just change it where you choose your type of mash. It allows you to choose the qt/lb when you create your mash schedule.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #54
Medo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yo,
Wildwest, this is off the top of my head, but when your in the section where your building the recipe, at the bottom, after you pick a type of mash profile, and it shows up in the white window telling you how much water and what temp to shoot at, if you double click your mash profile in the white window, you will get the details of that setup, and you can manually change the amount from 1.25 to 2qt per lb. I will say though that I havent ever found a way to control the amount of sparge water, its figured from the settings above. And I think it comes up a bit short. When i do 15lbs of grain, i need 30 qts of water at such and such temp for so many minutes. Usually the sparge water will be like 1.5 gallons. From experience I have found that doesnt get me the 7 gallons i want to have at start of boil, but, about 6 or so, so i add a gallon to whatever the sparge is supposed to be. This is only when i use 2qts per lb. But thats all the time now, its worked great for me.
A great day to you all.

"Tell me, Alvis - for all wights' fate
I deem that, dwarf, thou knowest -
how the beer is hight which is brewed by men,
in all the worlds so wide?"

- The Lay of Alvis

Visit my beer blog at http://homebrew.medofernandez.com

Old 02-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #55
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

I just want to state for the record that although I have high efficiency (usually 90+%), it was not something that I strove to get. I just got it. It was practically an accident and has been that way since my first batch. I just happened to build a 3-tier gravity system with keggles/false bottom and fly-sparging capabilities before ever brewing, my water just happened to be soft and with a low pH, and my LHBS just happened to have a good crush (I've a Barley Crusher now).

I've read before about wort quality and efficiency, but I've only read about it in generic terms. I'd like to know what exactly would be some of the differences in quality. Different sugars or ratio of sugars?... different proteins/levels?... other compounds? Is it more to do with tannin extraction?

Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #56
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts

Aha! it's the old double click on the mash profile trick. You can't fool me all the time.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #57
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks everyone for posting your opinions and findings on this matter. I have been hovering around the 72-75% efficiency mark the entire time I've been brewing. I've gone from a 5 gallon MLT with a SS brain, to a 10 gallon with a large copper mainfold, and even from batch sparging to fly sparging. For the last 5 brews I've also used my new Barley Crusher instead of the LHBS crush. Nothing has had an effect on the efficiency numbers except for fly sparging, and that only increased efficiency by 2%. I typically mash at 1.25-1.33 qts/lb. depending on the recipe and desired body of the finished product.

Now, I may be incorrect but based on the limited set of results here's some hypotheses I see that could be made.

1. People who routinely get <80% efficiency will likely see an efficiency increase, which is mainly attributed to conversion efficiency.

2. People who routinely get >85% efficiency will not see a big efficiency gain in a thinner mash. There may even be a decrease due to a detrimental effect the thinner mash has on lautering efficiency.

Thoughts?

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #58
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
Thanks everyone for posting your opinions and findings on this matter. I have been hovering around the 72-75% efficiency mark the entire time I've been brewing. I've gone from a 5 gallon MLT with a SS brain, to a 10 gallon with a large copper mainfold, and even from batch sparging to fly sparging. For the last 5 brews I've also used my new Barley Crusher instead of the LHBS crush. Nothing has had an effect on the efficiency numbers except for fly sparging, and that only increased efficiency by 2%. I typically mash at 1.25-1.33 qts/lb. depending on the recipe and desired body of the finished product.

Now, I may be incorrect but based on the limited set of results here's some hypotheses I see that could be made.

1. People who routinely get <80% efficiency will likely see an efficiency increase, which is mainly attributed to conversion efficiency.

2. People who routinely get >85% efficiency will not see a big efficiency gain in a thinner mash. There may even be a decrease due to a detrimental effect the thinner mash has on lautering efficiency.

Thoughts?

This is my understanding...

Old 02-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #59
luvmy40
Recipes 

I caught this thread this morning and decided to try 2.0qt./lb myself.
I batch sparge in a 10gal cooler/tun w/ss braid.
I crush with a Barley Crusher set a factory default (.039?)
The grain bill for my last brew was 11 lb. I mashed in with 1.25 qt./lb @ 154 deg f mash temp.(13.75 qt. @ 165deg f). First sparge with 11 qt. @ 212 deg for 170 deg. mash. Second sparge with 11 qt. @ 170 deg.
I hit 78% brew House efficiency with this one (my best yet).

Tonight I used the same grain bill + 1lb 20L Munich for a total of 12lb.
Mash in with 24 qt. @ 161 deg. single sparge with 20 qt. @ 206 deg.
First runnings = 17qt. SG was 1.060 @ 80deg. f. Sparge = 20qt. SG was 1.018 @ 90deg. f.

If I don't lose more than 3-5% (I actually hope to gain some ground) I will continue to use this method as it made for an easier mash experience.

I will update with my post boil OG in an hour or so.

Reason: added crush info

Old 02-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #60
The Pol
Recipes 

Looking forward to your results. The thinner mash DOES help A LOT with the mash in. Soup is easier to mix than oatmeal.