Blow off tube installed... now what? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Blow off tube installed... now what?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
underwaterdan
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Long Island, NY
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay so me hefe is super active, and my wife pointed out a foaming in the airlock. Well I went crazy :-) I hooked up a blow off tube in record timing, first I had to find out how :-)

Now i have it hooked up and into a starsan solution, but some of the foam is still coming out the hose(didn't make it into the solution, but will soon).

Is there something else I should be doing, the beer is at 67, I turned the heat down but it will take a few hours for the cooling to take effect on that volume of liquid.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Hickory, North Carolina
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

It's gonna be fine... after the heavy blow-off finishes, just remove the blow-off tube and put the cleaned and re-sanitized air lock back on...

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
BrewInATL
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Johns Creek, GA
Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

RDWHAHB

It'll settle down in time.

Cheers!
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbits View Post
Because I was fortunate enough to have 255 colors in my crayola box as a kid. You poor bastard.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3180 Times on 1881 Posts

You did what you are supposed to, attached a blow off tube to keep from having your beer paint the ceiling...now just let it off gas and spew into your container...Everything's fine!!!!!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
underwaterdan
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Long Island, NY
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am still breathing heavy :-) I guess I can go out tonight and not have to worry about the extra blowoff? Maybe I will use a bigger bucket for my blowoff water - my kitchen size bowl might not do it :-)

Old 01-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3332 Times on 3198 Posts

yep it is supposed to go through the tube, That is the point of it. just sti back, wait for it to slow, then add regular airlock.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
Willy Boner
Recipes 

May 2007
Drain OR
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yep just sit back and listen to bump,bump bump bump bump bump bump,bump bump bump bump bump bump,bump bump bump bump bump for a while. Then replace your sanitzed air lock and then that will lull you to sleep.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
underwaterdan
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Long Island, NY
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Boner View Post
Yep just sit back and listen to bump,bump bump bump bump bump bump,bump bump bump bump bump bump,bump bump bump bump bump for a while. Then replace your sanitzed air lock and then that will lull you to sleep.
You say a while? I was assuming tomorrow afternoon to hook up the airlock, maybe even tomorrow evening, you think I can do it tonight?

Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
beersydoesit
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Madison, Wi
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I wouldn't expect it tonight. There is no hurry. The blowoff in water is just another airlock.
All is well.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
Brewme
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On a related note, I just brewed a Hefe yesterday and made a 2000ml starter for it. Right now the air lock is busy, but the foam on top is not even close to reaching the airlock (about 1 inch of yeasty foam goodness). Should I be having a more vigorous fermentation? Also, I have temp controler set to 68 degrees.

Sorry for the hijack!

"Women and wine, game and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great."
-That famous kite guy