Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > playing with mash temperatures and grains

Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
chemist308
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default playing with mash temperatures and grains

So, I bought some carafoam and folks at my LHBS have told me that if I adjust my mash temperature slightly higher I could potentially do without it. This intrigued me...

I'm not ready to do this as I have on %$#@ of a time just holding the temp, but none the less, I'd love to hear more about this one. Can anyone explain this to me?

PS: I gotta say, for those who can take advantage of this and consistently hold temperatures for 60+ minutes within a degree, hats off to you.

Primary Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary Fermenter: Empty

Bottled: ESB Stout

Drinking: Nothing

Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 23

There is no right of wrong answer here, as in many brewing techniques. Higher mash temps produce more dextrinous wort and CaraFoam is a dextrine malt so the answer you were given is at least partially correct. However, IMO it is simpler to add a small quantity of CaraFoam to a recipe to add some dextrines. Boosting the mash temp can also effect the fermentablity and attenuation of the beer. A thick, malty beer like a Scotch ale might be great with a high mash temp. But if I want to brew a Helles, for instance, with a dry finish but a touch of extra mouthfeel the mash can still be done at 148/150F to create the overall profile and finish of the beer and a small percentage of dextrine can be added for the extra touch of mouthfeel.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
So, I bought some carafoam and folks at my LHBS have told me that if I adjust my mash temperature slightly higher I could potentially do without it. This intrigued me...

I'm not ready to do this as I have on %$#@ of a time just holding the temp, but none the less, I'd love to hear more about this one. Can anyone explain this to me?

PS: I gotta say, for those who can take advantage of this and consistently hold temperatures for 60+ minutes within a degree, hats off to you.
Within a degree? Sheesh... why so large a window?

I can hold .5F but Id still use the carafoam as stated above