Old 05-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You forgot to do a sour to age 18 months.

Seriously this is a cool project, very nice idea. It will be really nice to sit down and try all those beers side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
leghorn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
It will be really nice to sit down and try all those beers side by side.
That is the plan - I'm going to do a "vertical" tasting sometime over Christmas break.

As for a sour, now there's a good idea...

Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #13
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts

It's going to make for one heck of a Christmas party.
I never have the quick attenuation luck that some of you do. Started my quad at 1.105, 2 weeks later almost stuck at 1.030. Rousing every other day has finally dropped it to 1.016. I'm hoping to try a few around Christmas also. Good luck on the experiment.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
leghorn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bottled the Trippel today. Hydro samples were fantastic. I am really excited about this one - I think I did well with all the fermentation variables...

For 4 bottles (2 12s and 2 22s), I added a special spiced extract. Basically, I soaked 1 oz oak chips in chardonnay for a few days, then discarded the chips and added 1/8 tsp orange zest, 1 crushed coriander seed, and 1/4 tsp saffron. I let that sit for about 4 weeks while the Trippel was in secondary. The liquid in the jar turned a bright purple/gold. The bottling samples of these were citrusy and aromatic.

Here' some picks - hydro samples:

the leftovers from the special spice (saffron threads, orange zest, and coriander)

Bottles complete (the red marked ones are with the spice)

Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #15
leghorn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Belgian Dubbel

Brewed my Dubbel today - recipe is up to date on the dirst post.

Things went pretty well. I had a couple of small issues. First, I was under my target OG - hit 1063 v 1067 per Beersmith. Despite the fact that I am using 5.2 stabilizer and a I am getting pretty consistent temp readings, I still seem to be getting on 65% efficiency. I'm starting to think the crush is the problem - I buy it pre-crushed.

Second problem was the boilover. I use a 8 gallon aluminum turkey fryer, and fill it with 7 gallons pre-boil; so I've got good odds on a boilover everytime. Fortunately, I received several AHS gift certificates for my birthday, which I plan to use on a 10 gal bre kettle, which I expect will help.

I also used my new oxygenation kit for the first time on this brew - 30 second of O2 before pitching the yeast. I was getting tired of the shake-shake-shake routine...

Here's some pics:

The boil:

Boilover - lost some hops

Made some BBQ sauce while it was boiling

OG reading

The reward for a hard morning's work - Homemade black forest cake (from my BDay) and Allagash Dubbel Reserve

Three beers down, one to go with this project! Great thing is I'm learning something new everytime.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #16
leghorn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick update on the project. I submitted the Quad and Tripel in a recent local homebrew club contest. The Quad won 3rd place in oak-aged beers (I had some significant oak in it). The Tripel took honorable mention in the Belgian Strong category. Overall, I am more pleased with the Tripel - and am quickly running out since I keep drinking it.

The dubbel is still in secondary. It did not finish dry enough, so I added 1/2 lb of corn sugar and 1/2 gallon water to the secondary. It's been in a slow ferment every since. Today its at 1.006 - I'm hoping it's done, since I want to bottle this weekend! Samples are difficult to place, I'm not sure this is going to be *great*, but I think it will be *good*.

The singel is scheduled for early October. I am picking up a wealth of experience with the grains, ferment temps, mash and boil process, and the impact of sugars - this has been a great exercise, and I would encourage everyone to try it.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #17
leghorn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finally did the Singel yesterday. Struggled at bit to get the mash temp right - I accidently used an old recipe with 1.25 qts/lb ratio instead of the 1.5qts/lb I moved to now. Recipe is updated on the original post.

Overall, the brew went well. The recipe is similar to the Tripel, which has turned out very well. I am anticipating success with this one as well. Within 16 hours of pitching, I have a beautiful white krausen. I will run this one through a little quicker with 1 week primary/2 secondary/3 in bottle; and then I will have all 4 ready for a tasting in early December.

Took a couple pics, will post when I get them uploaded.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:44 AM   #18
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Alright! I've been following along in silent anticipation. I'm glad you made it all the way through. You have a strong will with your brewing schedule! The vertical tasting should be excellent. Should be a great night of tasting some beers with a lot of depth and reminiscing over the year that passed. I'm inclined to do something similar, mayby throughout the year brew a spectrum of styles a la that sam adams billboard and have a tasting of 12 over a couple of nights in december or january of 2011?

Old 10-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #19
leghorn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, Jamo99. I really had to work hard to fit in the Enkel in time - almost didn't make it.

One thing I've experienced is that time really does matter. When I bottled the quad in the beginning of the year and tried one it tasted awful - something like cardboard soaked in kerosene. I had another on last week (6 months in the bottle), and the toffee, oak, and fruity/spicy flavors of the yeast really shine through. It's a good beer. It's amazing what time will do.

I'll be sure to post tasting notes when I do the vertical tasting.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #20
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

This is an amazing project... I really might try to do something like this! Make sure to get some pics of the tasting.