YEAH!! it tastes like BEER! GOOD BEER!! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > YEAH!! it tastes like BEER! GOOD BEER!!

Old 05-28-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 528 Times on 424 Posts

Ok, my first batch has been fermenting for the past week, and so I decided to take a gravity reading and make sure that it was done fermenting (bubbles have pretty much stopped in the airlock).

OG reading was 1.042, FG reading was 1.o1, which as I do the math equals a 4.19% APV [the formula is (OG - FG)*131, right?]

Anyway, even if it has a little ways to go, I'm going to put it in a secondary tomorrow - and yeah, I probably should have left it alone until then, sue me.

But, taking the reading means taking a sample - and after a little bit of apprehension, took a little sip...

This is pretty good beer.

It was actually a kit for a Sam Adams-type brew, and by golly it tastes like Sammy! No off-flavors that I've been able to identify, even though I'm still a little clumsy with the sanitation (I try, but the first time through is tough).

But, this is really good beer so far (I still have plenty of time to screw it up). Just as important, it's been loads of fun doing, and it's great to have found this site. So, thanks in advance, everybody, for all the advice I'll be seeking!

Old 05-28-2006, 02:27 AM   #2
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Farmington
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

All right! Way to go Which Sammy's? I like the Summer Ale and Cherry Wheat the best.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 05-28-2006, 02:39 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

Regular ol' Sammy-Sammy.

I'm co-incidentally trying the Cherry Wheat for the first time tonight. The cherry flavor's a little stronger that I usually like, but it's pretty good. SWMBO likes it a lot (she liked mine, too), so I'm sure I'll be learning about brewing with fruit at some point...

Old 05-28-2006, 02:44 AM   #4
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Farmington
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Regular ol' Sammy-Sammy.

I'm co-incidentally trying the Cherry Wheat for the first time tonight. The cherry flavor's a little stronger that I usually like, but it's pretty good. SWMBO likes it a lot (she liked mine, too), so I'm sure I'll be learning about brewing with fruit at some point...
It was my first brew back into brweing. I used Oregon Cherry Puree and it came out incredible! I originallly had the oposite problem. The puree fermented out completely and thought I would never taste it, but 3 weeks aging brought it out. With your it should mellow over time, like hops

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 05-28-2006, 02:50 AM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

Just to clarify, the brew I *made* is a regular Sam Adams clone. I'm drinking (commerical) Sammy Cherry Wheat tonight for the first time. Good beer, but when I *do* work into doing a fruit beer, I'll probably aim for a little less fruit flavor.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

Congratulations! My first two batches were BrewSack swill. Dumped them, got some real equipment and started making good stuff.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-28-2006, 11:00 PM   #7
skifast1

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Lake Zurich, IL
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Congrats! It won't be long before you start setting aside a weekly 'beer equipment' fund, believe me!

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 05-29-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
klcramer
Recipes 

Apr 2006
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I've already started planing for the weekly brew fund and a weekly brew day. My wife and I are looking to buy a new house and the one we are mostly interested hasa small barn and a shed on the back of the property with electric running to the barn and I told her the barn will become my brew-barn and that was a big enough selling point for me I don't really care what the inside of the house looks like I want the brew-barn