Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - None More Black Vanilla Stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #271
herc1354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 330
Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts

Default


Just brewed a 10 gallons on Saturday, this was an all grain version, I've brewed the extract version and if was amazing! When I transfer to secondary 5 gallons will sit on oak Chips and vanilla Beans soaked in bourbon while the other 5 gallons will secondary on top of coco nibs vanilla beans and coffee. Here is a shot of my buddies watching the brewing process, the dude on the right is my brew buddy, behind them is the brew rig.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-261384619.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	152314  
herc1354 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #272
Chupidacabra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Chupidacabra's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 385
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Default


Going to go ahead and brew an all grain version of this next week when I have a spare carboy. I'm thinking soak oak and vanilla in makers mark for a few weeks and than secondary it. 152 for the mash sound right? Going to use us05 at 60 for the primary.
Chupidacabra is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #273
herc1354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 330
Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupidacabra
Going to go ahead and brew an all grain version of this next week when I have a spare carboy. I'm thinking soak oak and vanilla in makers mark for a few weeks and than secondary it. 152 for the mash sound right? Going to use us05 at 60 for the primary.
When I plugged this brew into beer smith the estimated gravity is 1.065, I hit 1.066 at completion of the boil for a 10 gal brew.
herc1354 is offline  
Newsman Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #274
johnsnownw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 448
Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupidacabra View Post
Going to go ahead and brew an all grain version of this next week when I have a spare carboy. I'm thinking soak oak and vanilla in makers mark for a few weeks and than secondary it. 152 for the mash sound right? Going to use us05 at 60 for the primary.
I just made a porter with Maker's...and wasn't happy with the amount of flavor imparted. If you can swing it, try using "Cask Strength" Bourbon. I think that would give a more authentic bourbon barrel presence, than the watered down Maker's. Just a suggestion.
__________________
Lindisfarne Brewing

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever http://www.jvandike.com
johnsnownw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #275
Chupidacabra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Chupidacabra's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 385
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsnownw

I just made a porter with Maker's...and wasn't happy with the amount of flavor imparted. If you can swing it, try using "Cask Strength" Bourbon. I think that would give a more authentic bourbon barrel presence, than the watered down Maker's. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the heads up. Will see what I can do.
Chupidacabra is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #276
sak1134
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Just brewed a batch and have had it sitting in the secondary for about a week. I used home made vanilla extract and added a few of the beans from our extract bottle. Due to my late start and the need to have it on tap for our thanksgiving gathering I'm going to keg it a bit earlier than I normally would. Would there be any harm in tossing the beans into the keg to keep adding to the vanilla flavor?

Steve
sak1134 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #277
johnsnownw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 448
Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by sak1134 View Post
Just brewed a batch and have had it sitting in the secondary for about a week. I used home made vanilla extract and added a few of the beans from our extract bottle. Due to my late start and the need to have it on tap for our thanksgiving gathering I'm going to keg it a bit earlier than I normally would. Would there be any harm in tossing the beans into the keg to keep adding to the vanilla flavor?

Steve
Probably not, for the amount of time the beer will be in the keg. However, dependent on how long the beans were in the extract, they may have already contributed all their flavor. So...lets say the beans were in the alcohol for around 8 weeks...then they are most likely not going to contribute anything to the beer.
__________________
Lindisfarne Brewing

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever http://www.jvandike.com
johnsnownw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #278
Guidry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Denham Springs, La
Posts: 634
Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default


Only drawback I see is they may get pulled into the pick up tube and block it....I doubt you'll get any contribution though. I soak my beans for 3 days then rack the wort on them for 7-14 days.
Guidry is offline  
Newsman Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #279
herc1354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 330
Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by herc1354
Just brewed a 10 gallons on Saturday, this was an all grain version, I've brewed the extract version and if was amazing! When I transfer to secondary 5 gallons will sit on oak Chips and vanilla Beans soaked in bourbon while the other 5 gallons will secondary on top of coco nibs vanilla beans and coffee. Here is a shot of my buddies watching the brewing process, the dude on the right is my brew buddy, behind them is the brew rig.
This beer has been in kegs for a month, it is freaking amazing and almost gone, need to brew more
herc1354 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #280
Robisbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Likes Given: 1

Default


I made the extract version but think I made a huge error. Previously I have only used kits, this was my first extract. Followed instructions regarding steeping fine, the recipe then just says 'boil'. I now realize that the boil was probably meant to have the liquid malt/DME added Basically my boil liquid was just the product of the patent/barley steep in 2 gallons of water. I added the liquid and dry malts to the primary.

Put this brew down yesterday and it is bubbling away so I will let it run its course unless someone have a great suggestion. I was really just after some speculation about whether it will taste ok.

I did the numbers and my hop extraction would have been in a gravity of about 1.005. Does this mean my stout might turn out much too bitter? Kinda gutted as this was also my first try with liquid yeast (wyeast 1084) so it was a relatively time consuming and expensive one to muck up.
Robisbrewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanilla Stout RupturedDuck Recipes/Ingredients 6 01-04-2012 01:40 AM
Vanilla Stout jbodkin Recipes/Ingredients 5 12-12-2008 12:54 PM
Vanilla in a stout gERgMan All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 02-26-2007 08:56 PM
Vanilla Stout jaymack Extract Brewing 3 01-16-2007 02:12 AM
Vanilla Stout jaymack Recipes/Ingredients 5 01-12-2007 11:56 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS