Originally Posted by joepod
anyone try and sub out the black patent with chocolate malt? what results did you have?
I used 1# chocoalte malt....and also added 8oz of lactose...reminds me of a Youngs Double Chocolate ...my bottle carbonation didnt seem to workout well...its been almost 4 weeks and it seems like it only 1/2 carbonated. My process didnt change..just the recipe addition/substitutions.
I prefer the lower carbonation myself..but theres little to no head as compared to the regular recipe.
Came out excellent in flavor..I used pure vanilla extract in this batch...about 3oz IIRC.
I just bottled a double batch of the original recipe yesterday..it was on vanilla beans in secondary for 3 weeks,each batch contained 3 beans...I left out the black patent (accidentally)...will see how it effects flavor...not nearly as 'dark' in color. HTH-Matt