Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > sanke kettle test run fittings and all hoorah!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
bendavanza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default sanke kettle test run fittings and all hoorah!

So I had this Labbats keg fo a kettle for some time and recently decided I was tired of sticking my arm in there to check temps and guessing at the level of wort left, and siphoning wort out of it. So I did some comparison shopping and bought some fittings (bargain fittings guy) , a sight glass kit Forsale, a thermometer and silicon hose Austin Homebrew Supply , took the fittings to my welder friend and had him TIG the fittings into the holes I drilled in advance. Drilling was not fun I think I finally killed my dewalt corded drill. I scrubbed it all up with BKF and rinsed thoroughly, then brought 5 gallons to a boil to check for leaks and transfer. My dip tube made from soft copper and a female thread to 1/2" copper fitting worked well, and I plan to make a hop stopper for it with some 30x30 mesh I got from mcmastercarr. No new news here just happy with my upgrade and wanted to share. I'll be cutting up another keg soon, and then starting on my brew sculpture. I just picked up a used MIG so I'll be looking for scrap steel to work with. Any comments or concerns?

Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 12

When you have your brew structure built my only concern with your setup will be alleviated.. right now it looks like it wouldn't take a lot to tip your current kettle (nice job, BTW) burner and stand over.

In Secondary: Empty
In Keg: Snowy Mountain APA, Nameless Pale Ale
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Very cool. It's nice to see an installed version of my sight kit. It looks like you copied all my bulkhead locations too and I think you'll be pleased. Just be careful with that thermo probe if you stir.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bobby
I found that some medium walled vinyl tubing make the gap between the tube and the eye bolt.
A question for you, is there any concern about the heat and polycarbonate with leeching of BPA? I was reading this post http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/i-wi...rmenter-96622/