Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moving primary for bottling..?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Runyanka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Moving primary for bottling..?

My beer has been in the primary for a little over 2 weeks now, I have consistant readings. I am going to bottle on Sunday, and my question is this. When moving your primary to your bottling location (mineb from my closet to the kitchen) you will stir up some yeast and trub. How long do you let it settle after moving? I was thinking about moving it over Saturday night, letting it settle over night then bottling in the morning. The reason I am asking is my brother in law bottle last night (I helped) and his was in the primary for 10 days. When we got to the bottom of the primary, it was very cloudy and we lost about half a gallon of gold due to the yeast stirring up.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Howdy Neighbor,

What do you use as a primary? A plastic bucket with spigot? Or you have another bucket for bottling purpose? Like you describe, you can move your bucket ahead of time to give enough time for the yeast to settle down. Rack the beer into bottle bucket with cane or autosiphon. You should be able to eliminate most of the trub and visible yeast.... You may want to tilt your bucket to get most of the juice out of the primary.
I never had issues if I do it this way.

enjoy..

Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Runyanka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

AH!!! Its nice to see another North Texan brewer!!! I used a 6.5 gallon bucket for primary, I also have a 5 gallon better bottle at hand if needed for "clearing". I am planning on syphoning into a bottling bucket then going into bottles from there. You think 12 hours is enough time for the trub to settle back down?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

I just let mine settle for a bit before I start racking....just letting it sit for 20 minute to an hour would allow most everything to settle down fine.

If you haven't seen this yet, take a read http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I think 12 hours is enough. I brew my first batch with Mr Beer kit. It is a primary and serve as a bottling container too... lots of trubs for sure during my bottling, but it all settled out after you bottle/condition. The key is not to swirl the yeast when you pour into your beer glass... I did it once for fun and treat it like a hefe by swirling last 4 oz of beer... Man, those yeast/trub tastes awful for a pale ale.

You don't need the clearing unless you want to move to secondary for 1-2 weeks. It usually clear up really well. For your amber, if you decide to bottle on Sunday. Let it age for 2+ weeks. It'll taste better and better as you wait for it to get mature.

Where do you shop for your brew stuff? Is there a LHBS at Denton?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

You don't need to settle for 12 hours unless you plan on severely swinging the fermenter...an hour or two at the most is usually enough...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You don't need to settle for 12 hours unless you plan on severely swinging the fermenter...an hour or two at the most is usually enough...
Revvy, I agree.. 12 hours is probably overkill...

Old 01-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I usually let mine sit for several days, but that's more because I like to ramp up the temperature into the mid to upper 70s before bottling, and just letting it sit on the counter under a towel is the best way to achieve that. A couple of hours should be plenty to let the sediment and most of the fine particulates settle back down.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I don't bother to let it settle at all usually; however, I am fairly careful when carrying the fermenter to the "racking table". I just rack, leaving as much of the yeast as possible in the bottom of the bucket.

But, IMHO it really doesn't matter if you get a little bit of yeast in the bottling bucket? You're just going to create even more yeast when bottle conditioning. Call me lazy I guess.

If I were dry hopping I would probably let it settle for maybe 15 or 20 minutes though.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I let mine sit around an hour or so after moving. This gives me time to prep my bottles and sanitize everything.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis