Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help/opinions on this SMASH recipe

Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
I can second the Willamette. (But they might be similar to Fuggles?) I brewed an oatmeal stout with them once that had excellent hop flavor. I was surprised at how "Britishy" they were.
Willamette is a Fuggles cultivar. It was developed by the Oregon Agricultural Experimental Station in the mid-1970s, from a domestic dwarf variety and Fuggles. The main differences are three, one theoretical and two practical. First, Willamette is a triploid, while Fuggles is tetraploid. Second, Willamette is seedless while Fuggles is not (no seeds = no weight as seeds = more AAs in the wort). Third, Willamette is much more disease-resistant than Fuggles.

Flavor and aroma are very similar to Fuggles, being spicy, grassy and herbal, at the same time being very mild and floral. Most brewers can't tell Fuggles and Willamette apart. That makes W a very good sub for F.

Cheers,

Bob

Old 02-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just pulled the first pint of my Willy-Mo SMaSH and it is very good. I don't want to call it bland, but it has a delicate grainy flavor. Definitely good for the casual drinking while eating. Not really a beer that demands sniffing, sipping, and critiquing. Mine is lightly hopped to 20 IBU and 4.7%. On my kegerator menu sheet I wrote that it is a good starting point for someone who usually drinks miller lite.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 02-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You might consider Argentine Cascades. A MO SMaSH would be a great opportunity to try those suckers out.