Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 75-100% Oat Beer?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
rph33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 75-100% Oat Beer?

I have a mind to try to brew an all-oat beer. I guess it might be called "Oat Wine" without any barley? Or it might be called "stupid and impossible" without any barley?

Being as that I'm pretty sure it IS impossible without barley, do you think I could get by with say 8 pounds of oats and 1 pound of 2-Row for enzymes in a mash?

I don't really know what I'll get if I try this. I just love oatmeal, and I want an oatmeal beer that is cloudy, white, thick, and smoooooooth. Am I crazy or could something like this be done?

What remorseless emperor commands me?
I no longer govern my soul!

BREWDIMUS PRIME BEERS
Primary 1: <empty>
Primary 2: <empty>
Primary 3: Brewdimus Prime's "Prehistoricism" Wheat Wine
Secondary: <empty>
Bottled: Brewdimus Prime's Dubbel Abbey Ale, BierMuncher's "Centennial Blonde", Brewdimus Prime's "Big Slammu" Double IPA
Up Next: 60/40 Oat Ale, Breakfast Stout

My satisfactron rating is off the charts.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
944play
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Fawcett makes malted oats. Northern Brewer carries it.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
rph33
Recipes 

Using that Fawcett Oat Malt, I could use just oats, right?

This isn't a good idea, is it?

BREWDIMUS PRIME BEERS
Bottled: Brewdimus Prime's Dubbel Abbey Ale, BierMuncher's "Centennial Blonde", Brewdimus Prime's "Big Slammu" Double IPA

Old 01-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
lupulin
Recipes 

Rice hulls, lots and lots of rice hulls.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
944play
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I think it was Bugeater (on thebrewingnetwork.com) who made a 100% oat beer with good results. I think you should try it.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
rph33
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupulin View Post
Rice hulls, lots and lots of rice hulls.
I think I'm going to order 8# of that Fawcett Oat Malt. I'll probably use 1# of Pale DME in the recipe as well, mainly because the idea of all-grain is too daunting for me; I can handle an 88% Oat / 12% Barley beer.

Now, I've done searches on raisins, and other types of sugar, but I'm not sure what adjuncts I should use in this. I was thinking golden raisins.

Also, am I going to have issues with tannin extraction? From what I've read, too much oat in the grist and you get that astringency that nobody likes (I sure don't). Should I mash lower in an attempt to avoid this, or is it unavoidable, or what? Also, what yeast should I think of using?

BREWDIMUS PRIME BEERS

Old 01-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Honestly, if you have never mashed anything before, I doubt you will get anything but a big bowl of oatmeal in you mash tun, that will never be able to be turned into beer. Start out with regular beer, then once you get the hang of how things should be done, move on to the experiments. Bug may have made a successful all oat beer, but he has also been brewing for years.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Any idea what kind of diastatic power you'd get from malted oats?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph33 View Post
I think I'm going to order 8# of that Fawcett Oat Malt. I'll probably use 1# of Pale DME in the recipe as well, mainly because the idea of all-grain is too daunting for me; I can handle an 88% Oat / 12% Barley beer.

Now, I've done searches on raisins, and other types of sugar, but I'm not sure what adjuncts I should use in this. I was thinking golden raisins.

Also, am I going to have issues with tannin extraction? From what I've read, too much oat in the grist and you get that astringency that nobody likes (I sure don't). Should I mash lower in an attempt to avoid this, or is it unavoidable, or what? Also, what yeast should I think of using?
1) If AG is daunting for you then avoid this beer. Oats are going to be tricky to mash and sparge.

2) Why do you think you need adjuncts? Do you use adjuncts with your other beers?

3) I'm not sure about the tannins, but I do think they will be a problem if you mash and sparge correctly.

I think it is possible to make an all oat beer using oat malt. It will require alot of rice hulls because oats do not have much hulls. You will probably want to do a protein rest to help break down the large amount of proteins in oats.
I do not think you need DME or any other adjuncts, however I have no idea what the result will be like. You may get better results by making it like you would a wheat beer with 60% oats and 40% pale malt.

And yes I do think you are crazy for trying.

Craig

Old 01-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Any idea what kind of diastatic power you'd get from malted oats?
It has none according to the website, so it seems you would have to use at least 40% 2-row to even be able to convert the mash.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com