How to add hops to a boil.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just throw them in, but some people like to use a bag to keep them "contained" a bit. Either is fine. If you use a bag, though, make sure the hops are very loosely in there- don't pack them at all. They need complete freedom to move around with the wort to get the proper amount of utilization.

Some people like to filter them out after the boil, and others don't. It's all personal preference, and won't affect the beer either way.

i think ill just throw them in, any large bits will settle in the bottom of the fermenter anyway.. at least I think.

I've seen both work well. Nylon or muslin bags work for grain or hops. Or you can sanitize a strainer and strain the wort on the way into the fermenter. Or leave then in and see what develops, I guess it's a matter of taste and preference.

i think ill just throw them in, any large bits will settle in the bottom of the fermenter anyway.. at least I think.

Yes, they will. Eventually.

I'm a patient person, so I just toss them in, and then pour the wort into the fermenter. The only time I strain is if I have a LOT of gunk. If you can let it sit for a while (two weeks or even longer), it'll all settle out.

Like I said, if I'm making a beer with tons of stuff, I sanitize a strainer to catch most of it as I pour it into the fermenter. Not because it harms the beer, but because it takes up so much room in the fermenter. If it's less than 2 ounces of hops, though, I just toss and then pour.

Neither way is wrong. I just take a minimalist approach.

I find that if I throw / dump the hops into the boil that it will boil over, spitting the hops right back outta the pot. Instead, I put them on a paper plate or in a cup and gently shake them into the boil, almost one at a time.

I use the "tea balls" for my hops. I don't put more than a half ounce in one to insure I get pretty good utilization, so I have several. They have little chains and clips to attach them to the side of the pot.

infuser%20ball.jpg

I still get hop bits mixed with the trub, but a careful pour or siphon keeps most of it there. The trub "goo" acts almost like glue to keep the hop bits contained.

When I get my keggle ready, I plan to make one of those PVC and nylon bag hop thingies. The guy at the LHBS was showing me one in a boil he was doing and it looked pretty cool.

Hop%20Strainer%201.JPG

Back