To much co2 in a keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
So I have a lager going that I pitched about 4 days ago. I made a big starter using lots of o2 and a stir plate. LOTS of o2. I would have been scared to light a match in the room it was in, but anyways that's not why I'm posting. Except to say I'm pretty sure I proved you can't kill yeast with to much o2.

But the yeast is going strong at 50F in my 7cu ft keezer with the lid closed. I opened it to take a smell and when I put my head in it I could tell the amount of co2 was very high. The fermentation is going strong right now but is keeping the keezer lid closed with nowhere for the co2 to vent a possible issue? Anyone have any experience with hurting their yeast this way, if thats possible?

Your keezer cannot hold pressure, plus, any CO2 in the keezer isn't in the fermenter. So, no problem.

As other have said, ideally the "air" inside the keezer will never get into the fermenter anyway...that's why you have an airlock. ;)

Also, think of it this way, the headspace above the beer is going always be more heavily saturated with CO2 than the surrounding air no matter what you're brewing in a closed vessel.

...might not be a good environment for *you* to be breathing however. ;)

RDWHAHB :)

Back