how many times can you pitch on top of same yeast cake? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > how many times can you pitch on top of same yeast cake?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
undallas
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Allen, Texas, USA
Posts: 253
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



I have been using the same Pacman yeast cake for 3 batches on different brew... IBU from light to bitter....
I know it is getting thick, about 1" in a 6.5G plastic ferm.
How many times have you pitch on top of yeast cake?
I'm a bit lazy to do the whole washing right now.
__________________
Happy Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
vtbeerman
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Bennington, VT
Posts: 149
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've only pitched on the same cake twice. After that it looked like too much gunk.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Parker36
 
Parker36's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Lesotho
Posts: 4,742
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


I would say you have pretty much maxed it out

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
beds
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Posts: 47

You are safe with 10 if you don't introduce much air and if you put your wort right on top of the old stuff. After 10 generations it would mutate even under the best conditions. If you're worried about the volume of yeast sediment, just throw a bunch of it away. You don't need that much, as you know.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts


BierMuncher has been pitching on the same yeast cake since 2007. He's got the price for nottingham per batch down to less than a nickel.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Jaybird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Nor*Cal
Posts: 7,549
Liked 964 Times on 681 Posts


without a wash or at the very least tossing out 1/2 the cake. I would think your MAXED But thats just me.
Hmmm a lazy brewer what's with that? You mean you haven't build a brewery in your home like the rest of us?LOL
__________________
Need a False Bottom for your Keg, Kettle or Cooler?

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE


Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guy Cigar Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
remilard
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 3,654
Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beds View Post
You are safe with 10 if you don't introduce much air and if you put your wort right on top of the old stuff. After 10 generations it would mutate even under the best conditions. If you're worried about the volume of yeast sediment, just throw a bunch of it away. You don't need that much, as you know.
I don't know. That is roughly the commercial rule of thumb and:

1. They have microbiological skills
2. They pitch viable yeast, not pack on to cakes.
3. They observe the characteristics of their yeast and discontinue use when they change. Someone to lazy to wash yeast is too lazy to do this.
4. They are not leaving finished beer on yeast for weeks after fermentation is complete.
5. They are putting the yeast into a container that was sanitized between batches.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
lx302
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Bethlehem PA
Posts: 101
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've heard no more than 3 for good results, but your results may differ.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
undallas
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Allen, Texas, USA
Posts: 253
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
BierMuncher has been pitching on the same yeast cake since 2007. He's got the price for nottingham per batch down to less than a nickel.
Awesome.. I probably won't go that far before I scare myself on wasting 5-10 gallons batch. BTW, I just pitch your Haus PA on top of this Pacman cake....
I think Pacman + Edwort = happy brewing..

thanks
__________________
Happy Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
undallas
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Allen, Texas, USA
Posts: 253
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I don't know. That is roughly the commercial rule of thumb and:

1. They have microbiological skills
2. They pitch viable yeast, not pack on to cakes.
3. They observe the characteristics of their yeast and discontinue use when they change. Someone to lazy to wash yeast is too lazy to do this.
4. They are not leaving finished beer on yeast for weeks after fermentation is complete.
5. They are putting the yeast into a container that was sanitized between batches.
i'll get myself into gear on yeast washing.... that way, I can save some yeast for future brew too.
__________________
Happy Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pitch on yeast cake colonial Fermentation & Yeast 7 12-16-2009 06:25 AM
Yeast Cake Pitch KCBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-03-2009 12:53 PM
yeast cake pitch HBDrinker008 General Techniques 1 04-13-2009 07:47 PM
How many times can you use the same yeast cake ndoe22 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 03-08-2009 08:36 PM
Pitch on top of yeast cake skinfiddler All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 07-24-2008 09:08 PM


Forum Jump