Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Maltodextrin to Sweeten?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
elkdog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 1,083
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Maltodextrin is about 12% fermentable (according to Austin Homebrew and somewhere else that I'm too lazy to look up and cite right now), so you may see just a little action when you add it, but the other 88% goes to adding body to your brew.

As mentioned above, lactose is typically used to sweeten beer, and will work fine unless you're lactose intolerant.


__________________
Revolving Door Brewery
elkdog is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,532
Liked 114 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu812 View Post
I think maltodextrin is fermentable. I recently added it to a recipe that did not include it. OG was a lot higher than the original recipe.
If you add any powder or liquid to a batch of beer it will raise the gravity. If it is fermentable that extra gravity will dissapear. If it is not fermentable the gravity will stay there at the end.

Forrest
Austinhomebrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back sweeten ArmyBrewer Cider Forum 2 04-24-2009 05:51 AM
How to/need to sweeten?? Crayfish Cider Forum 7 03-20-2008 07:48 PM
Sweeten cider pdxhophead Cider Forum 8 03-09-2008 08:24 PM
How to Sweeten Apfelwein? nardonir Cider Forum 7 04-11-2007 04:11 AM
how can i sweeten Talcottsk Cider Forum 7 02-14-2006 11:08 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS