Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > turkey fryer

Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
dpr3244
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default turkey fryer

I have a turkey fryer with a 30 quart aluminum pot with lid that's only been used 3 or 4 times. Will this work for a brew kettle? In researching some of the kits it seems like the kettle is one of the more expensive items and if this would work it would obviously save me some money. Any special cleaning that would have to be done to the turkey fryer prior to using it to make it work?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

That's what a lot of us use..it's a little tight but if you use fermcap foam control you can nearly fill it and boil it down to your 5 gallons..

Has the kettle been used to fry turkeys? If so I dunno how to get all the surface oil off the pot so it didnt affect your beer. Perhaps several boils...maybe using some sort of food grade grease eating agent like the orange degreaser that can leach thefat from your skin...that might work and not affect the metal...

If it's never been used, you just boil water in it to build up an oxide coat...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yes it will work. I used a 30qt turkey fryer for my first 30 batches or so. (With no foam control, it occasionally got scary.)

Assuming it was used for frying, you will need to clean it well, really well. Dish soap, hot water, and a sponge will cut most of the oil. A wash in some PBW will help get the oil out of places you can't reach with the sponge.

When you boil the water to develop the passive oxide layer, you should make sure you do not see a rainbow or any signs of oil. You will then be ready to brew.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Beer...PBW is safe to use with aluminum...I thought it was similar to oxyclean which isn't good to use on it...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Beer...PBW is safe to use with aluminum...I thought it was similar to oxyclean which isn't good to use on it...
It is safe on aluminum. This is one of the advantages PBW has over Oxiclean and one of the instances where I will go for the PBW over the Oxiclean.

EDIT: Did some reading to clarify the above....PBW has sodium metasilicate which stabilizes the percarbonate cleaners.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
Loup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use a 30 qt aluminum turkey fryer myself. It was used to cook turkeys, but there wasn't any residue on the inside, just the outside, and I guess that doesn't bother me.
Apfelwein
Stout
Smoked Porter
Irish Amber Ale
Cherry Wheat

Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #7
artyusmc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

watch the boil overs when adding hops

Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyusmc View Post
watch the boil overs when adding hops
That's why I highly recommend fermcap foamcontrol drops...no boilovers no matter what...I have filled both my turkey fryer and my 5 gallon stovetop pot to about 3/4 inch from the brim, and had no problems..I've even been able to go take a nap for part of the boil...

Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 AM   #9
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use a 30 qt fryer kettle and use the fermcap foam control drops. It is much better than without. You still need to be vigilant if you fill it within a couple inches of the top. Without the drops you need to watch it like a hawk, especially before the hot break develops and when you add the first hop addition.

I plan on upgrading to a bigger kettle soon so I can brew 10 gallon batches, but the price was right when I began brewing.

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
dutchboy62
Recipes 

thats great i got an old pot in my shed that was used for frying turkeys but i didnt think I could use it cause it had oil in it. Stupid question does it matter if I boil with the lid on or off?