Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using multiple types of yeasts

Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
xxdcmast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using multiple types of yeasts

Just wondering has anyone tried combining both a top fermenting and bottom fermenting yeast in one brew? Can this even be done and if so what would the finished product come out like?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
jesse
Recipes 

I do it all the time when making 10 gallon batches. I usually split a batch into 2 carboys and add the different yeasts then. I always ferment seperately so i can taste before i mix in secondary or when i keg. Most of the time i wait until i keg to see if the flavors will blend right.The ones that i think blend together best are 1056(american ale) with 2124(california lager) wyeast when I'm making a pale ale. So what were you thinking about blending???

Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was wondering about this too... I was thinking EC-118 for top fermenting, and Dutch lager wyeast... in an australian lager because i want the champagne like taste in the lager because i have tasted an australian lager with a champagne like note to it... Does anybody have any thoughts?... If i cant i was thinking of just useing the EC-118 but i dont think you can lager with it because i dont think it works so well at temps below 55F... Does anyone have anything to say about useing the dutch lager yeast alone would give the desiered flavor?

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale