Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming????????
Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Priming????????

When it is time to prime and bottle i bought a bottling bucket once the priming sugar is in the bottom of it and I siphon from secondary to this is it necessary to mix it around with a spoon or such to make sure it is fully mixed or will the siphoning action mix it well enough?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I don't use priming sugar anymore, but when I did, I liked to boil 3/4 cup of corn sugar with about a cup of dry malt extract in 2 cups of water. I would let this cool and then pour it in the priming bucket. I would then transfer my beer from the secondary fermenter into the priming bucket. The transfer should mix the solution very evenly and you are ready to bottle...

Beer Before Noon - My Beer and Homebrewing Adventures

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #3

Process we use is simple --- assuming you've racked into a secondary --- put carboy up on counter and get the priming mix boiling. Sanitize everything --- start siphon to the clean bucket --- at about 1/4 full dump in the priming sugar and keep the siphon going. Everything will be mixed when the transfer is complete
People tell me walkin' blues ain't bad;
Worst old feeling I most ever had.
People tell me the old walkin' blues ain't bad.
Well it's the worst old feeling, Lord, I most ever had.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Liked 166 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 7

+1 to the advice above. Get a siphon flowing and some beer in the bucket BEFORE you add the priming sugar solution. It is heavy and thick and will stick to the bottom of your bucket if you aren't careful.

It is REALLY important that the priming sugar gets evenly mixed into the beer, otherwise you will have inconsistent carbonation (and possibly even over-carbed bottle-bombs). If you don't trust the whirlpool action of siphoning beer, it won't hurt to gently mix everything in the bottling bucket with a sanitized spoon.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Likes Given: 1

JMSetzler what do you prime with?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2899 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

I pour half the priming solution into the bottom of the bucket while the siphon is flowing, and let the natural swirling of the liquid mix with the solution, then when I reach the 2.5 gallon marking I pour in the remaining solution.

If you do feel the need to mix it, be gentle so as to not introfuce any excess oxygen into it...

You may find some of the info on here useful...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew