Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best way to aerate Wort?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 AM   #11
Runyanka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have been using a large bakers wisk to do the job. Its great and doesnt take much effort/cleanup.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #12
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have been using one of these:
Aeration Wand
I attach it to my drill motor and go to town (after spraying starsan all over everything). That's right. I sterilize the drill.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
SleepySamSlim
Recipes 

Local brew shop guy is a science and chemistry type dude ... his take is all the shaking - pouring - etc will gain you at most an increase of 8ppm oxygen as most of our atmosphere is nitrogen. Only way to really increase oxygen is with a pure oxygen and a stone.

To each his own .....
Well it's the worst old feeling, Lord, I most ever had.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The yeast manufacturers have run tests on this to show that the two methods that homebrewers should use are shaking the carboy violently or injecting pure O2 using a diffusion stone.

For recipes up to about 1.060, you can easily get by with shaking your carboy for a couple mins. That gets atmospheric concentrations of O2 into your wort (8 ppm).

For higher gravity brews, you need more O2. The only way to accomplish this is to inject pure oxygen. For that you need an O2 tank and a diffusion stone (they aren't that expensive and they are VERY easy to use).

So the 'best' method depends on your recipe, IMO.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
The yeast manufacturers have run tests on this to show that the two methods that homebrewers should use are shaking the carboy violently or injecting pure O2 using a diffusion stone.

For recipes up to about 1.060, you can easily get by with shaking your carboy for a couple mins. That gets atmospheric concentrations of O2 into your wort (8 ppm).

For higher gravity brews, you need more O2. The only way to accomplish this is to inject pure oxygen. For that you need an O2 tank and a diffusion stone (they aren't that expensive and they are VERY easy to use).

So the 'best' method depends on your recipe, IMO.
Just for the sake of argument, what about pitching all the yeast you need initially, so that oxygen is less of a necessity to begin with? Two days ago I pitched a double starter, from two liquid yeast packs mind you, to a wort with an OG of 1.073 and within 3 hours the airlock was bubbling and within 18 hours the lid of my bucket was soaring across the room, ejected because the krausen clogged my inadequate blowoff apparatus. I had almost zero lag time, even though all I did was pour the wort and water back and forth several times to mix together.
So I guess my question is, is there a purpose or benefit to oxygenating your wort beyond growing enough yeast for the job?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
Just for the sake of argument, what about pitching all the yeast you need initially, so that oxygen is less of a necessity to begin with?
This can also be done and will lead to a very clean fermentation. However, recall that many of the characteristic flavours of many styles of beer (e.g., hefewezeins or most Belgains) comes from the yeast. These flavours (e.g., esters or phenolics) are produced during the growth phase of fermentation. If you pitch a high quantity of yeast, but don't provide them the oxygen required for replication and growth, then they can't reproduce and these characteristic flavours will be lost.

You actually hear about this happening every now and then with homebrewers, whether they realize it or not. A good example is that once in a while someone makes a hefeweizen by pitching their wort on top of the yeast cake from a previous batch. Then they report that it didn't turn out as good as the previous batch because it is missing the characteristic banana and clove aroma.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #17
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have an o2 bottle and stone, but sometimes I just shake the carboy, the stone/tubing and bottle are just one other piece of equipment I need to get out, clean and put away.

I think I will probably only use the O2 when I have a high gravity beer and I'm pitching a starter instead of onto a yeast cake/Partial cake

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I've been pouring the wort from brew pot to fermenting pail several times. Is this incorrect?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hugh Jass, From what it sounds like that's some good Airation and from what I understand as long as the Wort is cooled that should be good enough airation.

I don't think I airated enough in my first batch.

Would lack of airation cause a reduction in Efficiency and ability to get down to the desired FG?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #20
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
I've been pouring the wort from brew pot to fermenting pail several times. Is this incorrect?
While it isn't the most effective way to get O2 into your wort, it is certainly better than not aerating. It works just fine for lower gravity beers (say 1.045 and under).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FxdGrMind View Post
Would lack of airation cause a reduction in Efficiency and ability to get down to the desired FG?
O2 levels in your wort will definitely affect the degree of attenuation down to your FG. If your yeast don't have enough O2 to reproduce, then there won't be enough of them to finish the job. The situation gets worse with the higher the gravity of the brew.