Brewing First Batch Tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionysos911

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Lance. Long time drinker first time brewer. Been interested in brewing for a while and finally got a kit for christmas so I figured now is a good time to start. I am a big fan of IPAs, especially in the realm of imperial and floral. So any tips for me on brewing? I am BRAND new and still learning even the very very basics.

Hey Lance, welcome. I am new here too but I do have several brews under my belt. Time will be a big consideration for your first one, you should allow four or five hours, possibly more. You don't have to steep your grains till it comes to a boil, turn the fire down once it gets to 160-165. If you are are using a glass carboy make sure you cool the wort before transferring. Strain the hops out of your wort as you transfer to the fermenter. Be sure the wort is cool enough to pitch yeast. Sanitize, sanitize and sanitize. It would also help to have Palmer's "How to Brew" pretty close by....

Good luck with the first one. Does the 911 have anything to do with a P-car?

Hey Lance, welcome. I am new here too but I do have several brews under my belt. Time will be a big consideration for your first one, you should allow four or five hours, possibly more. You don't have to steep your grains till it comes to a boil, turn the fire down once it gets to 160-165. If you are are using a glass carboy make sure you cool the wort before transferring. Strain the hops out of your wort as you transfer to the fermenter. Be sure the wort is cool enough to pitch yeast. Sanitize, sanitize and sanitize. It would also help to have Palmer's "How to Brew" pretty close by....

Good luck with the first one. Does the 911 have anything to do with a P-car?

I have been hearing that sanitize sanitize and sanitize are the 3 rules to brewing. So I will definitely be on top of that. As far as straining the hops out. I assume that doesn't include the dry hopping. I am planning to just dry hop the primary then bottle.

911, Nah no P-car reference.. Been using it since my early college days. Dionysos was the greek god of wine, celebration, and general debauchery. So the 911 is more for emergency purposes, when your in need of some good debauchery.

Make sure you have and understand the proper equipment , clean and laid out ready to use. Once you get the technique down pat it should be smooth sailing. Good luck !

Well I filled up my my fermenter last night. Couple questions.

My primary is an 8 gallon plastic but only 5 gallons of wort. Will that extra air mess anything up?

Also, When do I dry hop if I am avoiding secondary fermentation?

Thanks, you guys are great btw!

The extra space in the fermenter is very important! The yeast need room to stretch out and do their thing. As soon as they start kicking, they'll create CO2 and push all the oxygen out of the fermenter.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer the dry hopping question. But, my guess is that as long as you are within 20% of your final grav, you should be ok to dry hop.

It's best to dry hop in a secondary to remove it from it's yeast cake and krausen mess.

Back