Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bottle Sanitizing with Starsan

Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Yankeehillbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Bottle Sanitizing with Starsan

So I'm sick of using Bleach to clean my bottles, even though it's pretty straight forward, it's time consuming.

I think I read on here that someone just uses a Spray Bottle to squirt a little Starsan in each bottle and then hangs it on a bottle tree, then bottles. Since I rinse each bottle with the hottest tap water I can get( about 130*) after drinking the beer, I figure a couple shots of starsan in the bottle at bottling time will take care of any potential problems.

I'm trying to avoid soaking bottles in a solution of anything if possible. I searched this site for quite a while, but couldn't find anything that covered it quite this way. I'm pretty confident that this method will work just fine, but thought I would get some feedback anyway.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use a vinator/sulfiter (sold at wine-making shops) to spray a jet of Star San into my bottles. It was discussed (with pics) in this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...bottles-54769/

Old 01-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
p4ck37p1mp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Call me paranoid, but when I bottle I soak them in a 5 gallon bucket of star san I keep at all times. I pull out 6 and fill and cap, get 6 more, etc. Overkill? Probably...

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I use a vinator/sulfiter (sold at wine-making shops) to spray a jet of Star San into my bottles. It was discussed (with pics) in this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...bottles-54769/
sweet, thanks for the link, I knew there was a thread about it somewhere

Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Yep, Vinator + StarSan + bottle tree is the way to go. Just make sure to spray down the bottle tree in sanitizer first. I make my priming sugar solution first, then sanitize my bottles while the priming sugar solution cools off a bit. As soon as I am finished sanitizing, I can begin bottling. No need to let the bottles dry.

There is nothing wrong with soaking the bottles in sanitizer, if you already have a bucket to do it in, but that method does take a lot longer.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I mix up about 3 gallons of StarSan in a bucket, submerge 12 bottles or so and allow to soak for 3 or 4 minutes. Those are hung on a bottle tree and 12 more go into the bucket.
I think that would be quicker than spraying the inside with a spray bottle trying to make sure to wet the entire surface. I feel just better about a complete soak.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

The Vinator sprays the whole inside surface of a 32 oz bottle in one squirt. Most people do it 2 or 3 times just to be sure, but the whole process takes maybe 5 seconds per bottle. It's not like a typical hand spray bottle. It shoots out a thick stream.

I also dunk the whole mouth and neck of the bottle in the Vinator reservoir before I hang it.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks everyone

Old 01-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo View Post
I also dunk the whole mouth and neck of the bottle in the Vinator reservoir before I hang it.
Same here, although I cheat a bit.

I may be skirting death with 30-second starsan wet contact instead of 120-seconds*, but my bottles are always very clean. My actual step by step looks like this:

1. dip bottle upside down in vinator reservoir as described by Alpo
2. pump on vinator as normal
3. let it sit on the vinator nozzle and drain while I fill the current bottle
4. repeat

So I always have a bottle in my hand filling, and one draining on the vinator spout. Moves pretty fast, and I still think I'm killing the majority of the buggies.

*although I think the BBR podcast with teh starsan guy said the killing happens in 30secs but the FDA test is 2mins so that is what they put on the package

Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
knarfks
Recipes 

The 2 minutes are still in effect. It is wet time, not submersed time. When the spray occurs the bottle won't be completely dry for a while so that time counts as wet contact as well.
All is well, infections are dying.

Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs