How will this turn out? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How will this turn out?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #1
impatient
 
impatient's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Des Moines, IA
Posts: 827
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



After reading http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/firs...ng-pics-90132/, I want to try an all grain. I walked thru the local HBS tasting different grains and came up with this.

Does anyone see a problem with this recipe?

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
10 lbs. English Amber Malt
1 oz. Goldings (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.5 oz. Cascade (Whole, 8.7 %AA) boiled 0 minutes.
Yeast: Danstar Nottingham
__________________
DSM
SMaSH

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,415
Liked 797 Times on 438 Posts


Sounds malty.

Sounds tasty.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #3
FlyGuy
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,605
Liked 183 Times on 53 Posts


I definitely wouldn't want to stifle creativity, but you really do want to enjoy a sense of accomplishment after that first all grain brew, and I highly, HIGHLY suggest you stick with a forgiving, tried-and-true recipe for your first all grain recipe.

I suspect you might be disappointed in the end result of your recipe. First, 2 lbs of chocolate malt is a LOT for any recipe. Second, 10 lbs of amber malt will be unbearable. It has a VERY distinctive flavour that gets overpowering very quickly.

I suggest that you aim to learn from subtle experimentation first -- that way you can begin to understand how different ingredients contribute to the overall flavour of your beer. Also, if you do make a mistake, it won't be a horribly bad mistake and your beer will still be drinkable. As you gain more confidence, then get more bold.

Just my $.02.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
impatient
 
impatient's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Des Moines, IA
Posts: 827
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Sounds malty.

Sounds tasty.
I like malty.
__________________
DSM
SMaSH

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 AM   #5
impatient
 
impatient's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Des Moines, IA
Posts: 827
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I definitely wouldn't want to stifle creativity, but you really do want to enjoy a sense of accomplishment after that first all grain brew, and I highly, HIGHLY suggest you stick with a forgiving, tried-and-true recipe for your first all grain recipe.

I suspect you might be disappointed in the end result of your recipe. First, 2 lbs of chocolate malt is a LOT for any recipe. Second, 10 lbs of amber malt will be unbearable. It has a VERY distinctive flavour that gets overpowering very quickly.

I suggest that you aim to learn from subtle experimentation first -- that way you can begin to understand how different ingredients contribute to the overall flavour of your beer. Also, if you do make a mistake, it won't be a horribly bad mistake and your beer will still be drinkable. As you gain more confidence, then get more bold.

Just my $.02.
I will surely drink it. I like OE.
__________________
DSM
SMaSH

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
FlyGuy
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,605
Liked 183 Times on 53 Posts


I was sort of hoping that you would drink it AND enjoy it!

I swear I have never made a better tasting beer than my first all grain batch. I would hate to see you robbed of that sense of personal gratification.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:28 AM   #7
impatient
 
impatient's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Des Moines, IA
Posts: 827
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I was sort of hoping that you would drink it AND enjoy it!

I swear I have never made a better tasting beer than my first all grain batch. I would hate to see you robbed of that sense of personal gratification.
I like dark, malty beers where the hops in not over-powering. For example, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is about as hoppy as I like.

What style of beer was your first? Have you posted the recipe? Could I check it out?
__________________
DSM
SMaSH

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
944play
 
944play's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,726
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I suggest that you aim to learn from subtle experimentation first -- that way you can begin to understand how different ingredients contribute to the overall flavour of your beer.
Subtle experimentation, thy name is single-malt and single-hop brewing! Two of the three best beers I've made were SMaSH recipes, and indeed, some of the best beers I've ever tasted.

Ten pounds of pale ale malt, two ounces of medium-alpha hops, and a pack of dry yeast is a great place to start the path to beervana.
__________________
OD: ?
Pri:-
Keg: Simple AIPA (2-row, Chinook, Cascade, WLP090)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
FlyGuy
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,605
Liked 183 Times on 53 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by impatient View Post
I like dark, malty beers where the hops in not over-powering. For example, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is about as hoppy as I like.

What style of beer was your first? Have you posted the recipe? Could I check it out?
Me too - those are still my favourite styles, although I do crave a hop-bomb every now and then (or a big Belgian).

Anyways, this was my first all grain brew, directly from Beersmith, I think. Given your preferences, you might like it too:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: English County FWHfb
Brewer: Steve Nicholls
Asst Brewer:
Style: English Special or Best Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0) Liquid gold. This is a beer with a wonderful malt profile and the superb taste and bite of Goldings hops. The yeast used adds a complexity of fruity flavours right to the last drop. Pick a water style similar to an English bitter. Not too much sulphate.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.85 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 14.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (2.5 SRM) Grain 84.11 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (15.0 SRM) Grain 9.35 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.67 %
0.20 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.87 %
1.20 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (60 min) (FiHops 30.5 IBU
0.60 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU

Beersmith says to do a single infusion at 149, but I believe I did it at 152 which turned out really nice. I also used Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
Brewsmith
 
Brewsmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Posts: 6,252
Liked 64 Times on 59 Posts


I'd go with it. It's a lot of chocolate and amber malt, but it should come off like an English porter prior to the creation of black patent malt. You may need to let it age for a little to mellow.
__________________
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you turn off your Co2? jeffg Bottling/Kegging 21 09-29-2012 11:32 PM
Help me turn this into something Lodovico Recipes/Ingredients 4 10-20-2009 01:41 PM
Turn gas off? Captain_Bigelow Bottling/Kegging 7 08-16-2009 07:34 PM
Turn off co2 tank between uses? bsay Bottling/Kegging 9 09-09-2008 02:44 PM
How will this turn out? LS_Grimmy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 09-17-2007 02:17 AM


Forum Jump