Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stupid burner question

Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't had a problem yet with using the ouside spigot during the cold. It's largely protected as it connects through a couple inches of masonry into the basement plumbing. I have never turned it off in the winter and have never had trouble.

Probably tempting fate by posting this though.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I haven't had a problem yet with using the ouside spigot during the cold. It's largely protected as it connects through a couple inches of masonry into the basement plumbing. I have never turned it off in the winter and have never had trouble.

Probably tempting fate by posting this though.
apologies for the threadjack but...

I could not find the shutoff for mine the first few years we lived in this house. Pretty funky plumbing among other things here. So I did not shut it off in the winter the first few years. Did not have a problem either and it was wicked cold the first winter here. -30F was probably the lowest and it stayed below 0 for a month and a half. Problem is, I tried it this winter for the first time as I now use a keggle and cannot carry it in to the utility sink. Nothing came out. Accidentally left it on and the temp later warmed up above freezing. Later that night "Hey what's that sound?" Oops.

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Pretty funny.

I have funky plumbing too since my house was built before it was built into the house.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
Grinder12000
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

I have a new house where you do not have to worry about this - however you do have to take the hose inside. My real concern was where put the "used"water. Probably have to go inside to a sink.

Of course EVERYTHING here in Wisconsin is pure ice at the moment from the ice storm - maybe no one will notice extra ice. LOL

138 batches and counting

European IPA bottled, One Putt 12 IPA carbing. East Indian Porter on tap. Looking into a Saffon Beer