high fermenting temps - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > high fermenting temps

Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
jimmymcfarlson
Recipes 

Nov 2008

Im new to brewing and live I Texas. I dont have an extra fridge, im fermenting in my room. I brewing several types of ales and the coldest it gets in my house is around 71 72.... is this fine.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Nor*Cal
Liked 1008 Times on 709 Posts

What type of yeast?

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guy Cigar Club

Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
944play

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymcfarlson View Post
I brewing several types of ales and the coldest it gets in my house is around 71 72.... is this fine.
Just get yourself a big cooler and put your fermenter in it. Fill with water and exchange frozen plastic bottles as necessary. This is Yooper's rig, with custom foam lid:

I use a round cooler and buckets:

The cooler can also double as a mash/lauter tun!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
ifishsum

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Portland OR
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

It does depend somewhat on the yeast used - I mostly use dry yeasts like US-05 and Nottingham, and I found that my ales taste better if fermented at 65 or even a little less. It does make a difference in the final product, and IMO worth a little effort rigging up a system like 944play suggested. Even a simple water bath, wet T-shirt over the fermenter and a fan will help.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
jimmymcfarlson
Recipes 

Nov 2008

thanks alot, im going to buy a cooler today. The 2 most recent yeast i used were activator 1007 german ale and white labs saison ale yeast. I have also used dry yeast in the past... what effects should this have on these

Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
944play

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts

You could not have picked two more opposite ale yeasts. German Ale likes cold, like 60, Saison you can ratchet up to the 80s!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

It's weired talking about cool temp control this time of year...we spent all summer posting out ghetto swamp coolers. Now a lot of us are talking about raising out temps with aquarium heaters...

In summer, I could keep mine in the low 60's with the icebath/t-shirt and fan (if needed) And can fit two 5 gallon fermenters, 6- 3 gallon betterbottles, or 1-5gallon carboy, 1-3 gallon better bottle, and 1-3 gallon water bottle, or 1- 5 6allon and 1-Mr Beer fermenter, in my rubbermade tote...and it holds the temp fine.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Penguin
Recipes 

Jun 2008
odessa, tx

dude i to live in Texas and cool temps are a thing of my worries too.
the wet t-shirt technique has brought things lower if i choose to use my bathtub.
ex: as we saw earlier

i also built this bad boy and it keeps my temps around 60-65 in the hot summer months. Not to mention if you like to build stuff it was kinda fun to put together
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF

it appears the link to the SON OF FERMENTATION CHILLER is dead. maybe someone else has a working link.

Reason: dead link