Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first lager: Not sure what to expect.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Neunelfer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default My first lager: Not sure what to expect.

I brewed a Oktoberfest style amber lager. I do not have a hydrometer so I can't do SG readings yet (I'll buy one for next batch). So I brewed it as usual, left it inside for primary. Bubbles were coming out of the airlock as usual. The bubbles slowed down and stopped so I moved it to secondary. I also do not have refrigeration but I wanted to replicate the "cold caves" that the German's used to use (and I'm cheap) so I placed it out in my garage in a large vat of water to help stabilize the temp. It is definitely cold in my garage, but it's not freezing, there isn't any ice on anything and outside just gets a light frost, (it's California).

I am seeing no bubbles pass through the airlock now that it is in secondary. I planned on letting it sit for 6 weeks in the lager phase regardless, but I am just kinda concerned, should I be seeing bubbles?

TIA.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
antsp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As far as whether or not you should be seeing bubbles, that depends on how long you sit and watch it. Most of my lager secondaries bubble maybe 1 time every 6 hours.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Neunelfer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsp1 View Post
As far as whether or not you should be seeing bubbles, that depends on how long you sit and watch it. Most of my lager secondaries bubble maybe 1 time every 6 hours.
That's what I was hoping to hear.