Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > first brew with new equipment...

Old 05-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #1
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default first brew with new equipment...

I brewed a Wit beer last night and got the chance to use my air stone and fermentation chiller... After having the air stone going for a bout five minutes, my 6.5 gallon carboy was about to overflow with foam... and now its fermenting great in my fermentation chiller... I would recommend an air stone to anyone... I've had issue with fermentation stalling for a day or so, but the yeast kicked in after jsut a few hours this time.... I'm excited to try this beer in a few weeks...!!!!

Jester

Old 05-23-2006, 02:04 AM   #2
MrSaLTy

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

You using pure O2 or a fish pump? If your using pure O2 you really only need to oxygenate for 1-2 minutes. I see people using a fish pump doing for more then 1/2 hr.

SECONDARY#1: Air
SECONDARY#2: Air
On Tap: Air
Keg Conditioning: Air
Bottle stock:
Next Up: dunno yet
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate
My eHERMS and home brewery build

Old 05-23-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaLTy
You using pure O2 or a fish pump? If your using pure O2 you really only need to oxygenate for 1-2 minutes. I see people using a fish pump doing for more then 1/2 hr.
I was jsut using a pretty high powered aquarium pump I had laying around... They only recommended about 5 minutes.. should I do more..??

Old 05-23-2006, 04:25 AM   #4
MrSaLTy

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Well here is the fish tank pump system from B3

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16607

They say 30-120 minutes and keep checking for overfoaming. Read the blurb in that link. No matter how long you do it its still better then anything you can do shaking it.
SECONDARY#1: Air
SECONDARY#2: Air
On Tap: Air
Keg Conditioning: Air
Bottle stock:
Next Up: dunno yet
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate
My eHERMS and home brewery build

Old 05-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaLTy
Well here is the fish tank pump system from B3

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16607

They say 30-120 minutes and keep checking for overfoaming. Read the blurb in that link. No matter how long you do it its still better then anything you can do shaking it.
I guess theres no perfect amount of time... I got my kit for William's Brewing and the paper said 5 minutes... can you over aerate wort..??

Old 05-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I guess theres no perfect amount of time... I got my kit for William's Brewing and the paper said 5 minutes... can you over aerate wort..??
I don't think so. It's just a balance between how much you want to aerate and how soon you want to get that fermenter closed. (Both are good goals.)

Maybe you have a more powerful pump: I don't think mine would ever foam up that much in 5 minutes--I usually run it more like 20 minutes.

If you're going to put top-off water in, you can aerate first, which helps control the foaming. (Just be sure to note the exact amount of top-off water you need before you aerate, because it's hard to get an accurate volume reading after you've frothed it all up.)

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 05-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #7
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
I don't think so. It's just a balance between how much you want to aerate and how soon you want to get that fermenter closed. (Both are good goals.)

Maybe you have a more powerful pump: I don't think mine would ever foam up that much in 5 minutes--I usually run it more like 20 minutes.

If you're going to put top-off water in, you can aerate first, which helps control the foaming. (Just be sure to note the exact amount of top-off water you need before you aerate, because it's hard to get an accurate volume reading after you've frothed it all up.)
It is a powerful pump... its a tetra luft pump, which runs the protein skimmers on my Saltwater reef aquariums... but now I get to use it for two of my hobbies now... hehehee... maybe thats why it foamed so much...