Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hydroponic Hops?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
jamesrm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hydroponic Hops?

Thinking of getting into some Hydroponics, how do you think Hops would take to this? Would they continually produce? Sorry, I am just now really looking into both Hydroponics and Hop growing.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
IowaHarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I saw a show on discovery about beer where the hop shortage was mentioned. They had a short bit on greenhouse hydroponically grown hops. They said that the hop plants responded well to it. Sorry I can't remember the name of the show. It was the one with the robotics Phd fella looking into other fields of interest. Skinny, nerdy kid. Considering the price of hops it may run a close second to the nations #1 cash crop.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #3
jamesrm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You know I remember that show actually. Would be one very interesting experiment. I have the land and good farming area for a green house, might be worth further investigation.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

actully it would work out very well i think... you would have to get the tech down and assure people you were growing pot but i think you could easily produdce a very steady varity of hops and also experiment easily with cross breading... this i find interesting

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Since they die back to the ground every year I would think that year-round production with good AA content would not be possible. I have no science to back it up, but it seems that the root ball would need some "time off" to take up nutrients and recharge with energy. Keeping a dormant stage in mind, I would think that they could be grown hydroponically with proper timed lighting. But with the investment involved to do this, why not just grow your brewing hops outside in TN(they'll do fine) and set up the hydro for something more profitable?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
jamesrm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What would legally be more profitable for the hydro? It was just an idea, wanted to grow some tomatoes hydroponically for awhile.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 AM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts

In the LA area there have been some radio commercials lately for growing hydroponics. One particular shop's ad refers to growing "herbs" and that your "buds" will grow. The whole commercial is full of code for growing the hop's cousin.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-02-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
Battery_BreweryNJ

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I read a blog this guy did on a gardening forum all about growing hops hydroponically. I know he invested a lot of $$$ into it, but the pictures that he posted showed nice results. Only problem was that his last post was awhile ago and you don't get to see if he produced cones or not. I also have been researching a hydro setup. They are not cheap, but you can make your own.

Hydro Hops
Scroll down a bunch and the pics show up.

Fermenting: ESB

Drinking: Feelin' Witty(DH w/ Citra)

Watts Brewing Blog

Old 01-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Don't know if he posts here but I think it was Hydro from the green board was selling a bunch of hydro hops. He had a big greenhouse full of them and pictures looked awesome. Looks like the thread expired though and was deleted...

He happens to be from TN as well...

Edit: ooo found him on another board which has his e-mail listed... and pics:

Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Since they die back to the ground every year I would think that year-round production with good AA content would not be possible. I have no science to back it up, but it seems that the root ball would need some "time off" to take up nutrients and recharge with energy.
You are correct in this assumption. Hops require vernalization, which translates to about 4 weeks of cold and dormancy before they can begin growing again. Once the plants begin to break soil, they're also tied to the amount of light they get. When the days start getting shorter in summer is when they start producing cones. Read up on the 'other' hops, the similarities are very close.