Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > $6 organic cider, already in carboy, whole foods

Old 04-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #71
KatoBaggins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I don't know what ace pear tastes like, but I liked the sound of the Wyeast 3068 yeast that was used in this post. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/bett...felwein-29003/ so that what I'm planning to do. I have mine in the primary tonight soaking with some campden and some peptic enzyme. Tomorrow I'll pitch the 3068.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #72
jdwest32
Recipes 

i just tried some Samuel Smiths Organic. it is dry and very good. i would not mind having it that dry at all.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:37 AM   #73
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
I just found a similar deal at a whole foods type market near me... $6.50 for organic apple juice, in carboy I bought two, and some corn sugar. One has just corn sugar- about a cup, and the other has an 8oz bottle of cherry juice concentrate.

The juice alone tested at 1.050 SG, and the bottle with the cherry juice in it came out at 1.060 on the nose. The one with corn sugar is a little higher, maybe 1.065... i tested it before I added all the sugar so I'm not quite sure.

I just used a packet of Munton's dry yeast I had laying around... we'll see what it does. The cherry concentrate didn't really add that much direct cherry flavor, but it does have more body than the plain one.
I just popped a bottle of this and it is excellent!! Both have been in bottles carbing for a week now and I am drinking the plain cider. It's perfectly carbonated, just a touch of residual sweetness, and very very tasty. I put a bit of lactose in for the sweetness and it worked out quite well. I am kicking myself for only making a gallon of each! It's time to step it up here...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 AM   #74
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Yech...

Well, I couldn't stand waiting, and I opened one of my WH bottles. In a word, "yech". Interesting smell, kind of like butterscotch -- which isn't a good thing in anything I've read, and beer. FG 1.018 -- but no sweetness in taste. Taste is a bit yeasty but not quite beery, a little sour. Cider is still very cloudy, but clearer than it had been before all the non-sense. I have to wonder if they heat pasturized it, and got it too hot.

For the record:

Whole Foods Organic Apple Juice
Nottingham Yeast
Dates:
01/29/09 Started
03/16/09 Racked to new container
03/31/09 Cold crashed to see if yeast would drop
04/01/09 Bottled, jokes on me.

I'll let it sit a while, but this was not my finest hour. Oh well, live and learn, if we're lucky.

Next week, I will start some Kedem Apple Juice on Safale S04.

How did anybody else's WH OAJ cider turn out?
Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #75
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

That is weird- 1.018 is way high. It should have finished much lower than that, less than 1.010 for sure... seems like something might have happened with your fermentation. What was the OG?

In order to get mine to completely clear, I used both pectic enzyme (about 1/4 tsp) which cleared it up a lot, and then gelatin (1 tsp, dissolved in 1/2c cold water, brought up to 180f and chilled). The gelatin was amazing- it got it to be crystal clear. The taste didn't perceptibly change from either one, it's purely an aesthetic thing.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #76
chirs
Recipes 

MacBruver, are those measurements for pectic enzyme and gelatin for a 5g batch?
I just bought 5 gallons of the whole foods AJ ($6.99 here). I'm thinking of returning 2 gallons and subbing for the something filtered...and cheaper (similar to what Edwort uses). I think that awesome unfiltered apple taste will still be dominant if its 3/5 of the mix...and it will be a bit clearer.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 AM   #77
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

No, those measurements were for 1 gallon. The pectic enzyme comes with directions on it... as for the gelatin, a whole packet works perfectly for 5 gallons... that's what I've been using for my beer.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #78
chirs
Recipes 

Can the pectic enzyme be used after fermentation is complete?

Add your water quality report to the Water Quality/Chemistry thread.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 AM   #79
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The LHBS here gets $5 each for 1-gallon carboys, so basically you're buying a glass gallon jug and getting a gallon of good apple juice for $1. Can't beat that juice price at Wal-Mart.