Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > $6 organic cider, already in carboy, whole foods

Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #21
jonp9576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

thats what i was thinking, could i split a pack into 2 or 3 batches of a gallon each.

"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 01-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #22
oldhickory
Recipes 

so pasteurized cider will still ferment without any problems. as long as there are no preservatives then it is ok? please clarify this for me.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #23
wreckinball9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post
so pasteurized cider will still ferment without any problems. as long as there are no preservatives then it is ok? please clarify this for me.
you are correct sir.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:40 AM   #24
oldhickory
Recipes 

Things makes things so much easier!

Old 01-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #25
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Wow this thread has got me sold on this cider thing. No Whole Foods up where I live but we have a New Frontiers here... basically the same sort of deal. Really wish I had a Trader Joes in this little town

Old 01-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #26
mysigp226
Recipes 

I just picked up 3 gal's of the glass carboy kind ($6.99) and a 32oz jar of 100% pure cranberry juice ($8.99)...now to figure out what to do with it
1g Carboy's: Sweet Sparkling Apple Cider,empty,empty,empty
Bottled: Strawberry Wine
Mini-Kegged: Sweet Sparkling Apple Cider,Cranberry/Apple Cider, S04 Cider
Past Work: Raspberry Cider

Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 AM   #27
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysigp226 View Post
I just picked up 3 gal's of the glass carboy kind ($6.99) and a 32oz jar of 100% pure cranberry juice ($8.99)...now to figure out what to do with it
They also have quarts of blueberry and pomgranite juice... all would make interesting flavorings for cider.

I have yet to bite the bullet... I went there tonight and walked around the store carrying the one gallon jug, debating. I put it down and headed up the street to Walmart in search of the $2/gallon sale posted elsewhere. And didn't find it. Sigh. I hate being cheap.

Now if I could find a way to get one of the 3-gallon water bottles to use as a carboy, without having to pay $12++ on the deposit...

And to think I threw out an old 5 gallon jug last year (long before I was interested in cider). Oh well. I can stick w/ plastic gallon and 3/4 gallon containers for now.
Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #28
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Be caeful with those plastic water cooler bottles. Most of them are not impervious to oxygen. I've lost cider that I've left in them for long periods of time. They should have a 1 in the recycle triangle.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #29
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
use them for a second batch? if we use half a pack we can use the other half for a second gallon i suppose...atleast thats what i think i'm going to do.
That would almost certainly work. You could run it through the pitching rate calculator to be sure, but one packet of dry yeast is enough for 5 gallons of apple juice, so I think half a pack would be sufficient for one gallon.

So, I picked up two jugs of cider and then discovered that my universal stopper doesn't seem to fit. Everything I'm reading online says they should as the universal stopper is supposed to work in an opening down to an 1" and these are about 1" 1/8 ID. Not sure what to do!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:44 AM   #30
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
So, I picked up two jugs of cider and then discovered that my universal stopper doesn't seem to fit. Everything I'm reading online says they should as the universal stopper is supposed to work in an opening down to an 1" and these are about 1" 1/8 ID. Not sure what to do!
Well, I can see three alternatives:
1) email me one of the jugs, I think I have a stopper that would work ()
2) stretch the mouth of the jug
3) bypass the stopper/bubbler and go low-tech... pin-pricked balloon or saran wrap w/ rubber band

Seeing as you go the glass jugs, you'll probably want to find smaller stoppers. LHBS near there?

OT: Visited the local LHBS and noticed that they have a two-liter beer kit... a two-liter bottle filled w/ (... mash? must?) and a second cap w/ the pricked-plastic air-lock, and a yeast "pill". $9. It looks like an excellent present to get someone interested in brewing. Getting a glass jug, stopper, air lock, and a packet of yeast looks like it would be the same solution for the cider set. Such a neat idea.

Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!
johnnyappleseed Likes This