Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lid On or Off the brewpot?

Old 05-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #1
freeballer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lid On or Off the brewpot?

If quaility and taste are your priorities, and efficiency aside, is it better to brew with the lid on or off the brewpot? Or does it make a difference at all.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The one big difference is with the lid on, boilovers are more probable to happen. Even with the lid cracked open, when the boilover starts it makes its way to the top much faster (or so I have seen).

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 05-21-2006, 11:51 PM   #3
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Leave it off. If you brew with it on you run the risk of DMS not having the escape through the steam it needs. Even with the lid partly on you run the risk of having condesation dripping back into the wort causing DMS.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Off, as boo boo mentioned that are some chemicals that you don't want in your ale that are carried off with the steam. This is much less of a problem with extract, since it is heat-concentrated or heat-dried.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
gauthierk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The only boilover I have experience was when I put the lid on a full 5 gallon boil. I'd leave if off for the most part... I have found that I can get my wort boiling faster though if I put the lid on until I get the roll... Once you toss in your first set of hops, it's dangerous to the cleanlyness of your stove to put the lid on... hehehe Plus there are the schools of thought that say that you prevent the boil off of some off flavor stuff..

Old 05-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Ok, so the issue that I ran into while brewing my first batch over the weekend was that my electric stove simply does not have the firepower (er... "ceramic heating element"-power) to bring the wort to a full, rolling boil. It could bring it up to around 208F or so, it was at what I believe would be called a "soft boil," but could not get over the edge without putting the lid at least partially on.

The executive decision I made was to leave the lid about 3/4 on, enough to get an aggressive boil but still allow some steam to escape. That the right decision? I know the ideal is to not have the lid on, but I believed having the lid partially on was a less egregious violation of brewmaking protocal than not getting a full boil.

Thoughts?

Old 05-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
boo boo
Recipes 

How big of a kettle are you using? If you are doing extract and not AG then the issue of having the lid partly on isn't so big an issue.
Trying to boil 5 gallons on an electric stove element is however almost a futile chore. If you are doing a 5 gallon boil you should invest in a turkey fryer setup using propane etc.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
The executive decision I made was to leave the lid about 3/4 on, enough to get an aggressive boil but still allow some steam to escape. That the right decision? I know the ideal is to not have the lid on, but I believed having the lid partially on was a less egregious violation of brewmaking protocal than not getting a full boil.

Thoughts?
Get a bigger burner or boil smaller volumes.

As pointed out earlier, boiling is necessary to drive off volatile gases that may lead to off flavors in beer. DMS, which will give the beer a cooked corn smell, is the most prominent of them. A good boil is also necessary for hop utilization and hot break formation. The latter may not be as important for extract brewing.

I'm not saying that you can't make beer with the lid on, I'm just saying that you may create off-flavors or other quality problems. Since you already brewed with the lid on, please keep us updated on how the beer turns out. I'm curious if you will see the problems that have been mentioned.

Kai

Old 05-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Well, since it is my first shot at this, I may not have a developed-enough pallate to identify the specific problems, but I'll let you know. I was using a kit (the whole setup was a present from the wife), so it was extract-based, but with some grains and hop pellets. Again, though, I was leaving SOME room for the steam to escape, I didn't have the pot completely covered.

As for volume, the directions that came with the kit told me to do the boil with (gasp) only two gallons. I hesitated, it seems that you usually boil with three gallons, but I figured for the first go-'round I would follow the directions as closely as possible. I can't imagine how much difficulty I would have run into trying to boil three gallons, much less five (to speak nothing of the difficulties of doing a five-gallon boil in a four-gallon pot).

As to the turkey fryer... I can see how this hobby is going to quickly get expensive...

Old 05-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #10
boo boo
Recipes 

Hide your check book, and cut up your visa card.